[comp.sys.mac] Wanted: Lazy functional language for MacIntosh

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (06/06/89)

Is there an implementation of a lazy functional programming language
(e.g. Miranda, Orwell, some LISP dialect?) that runs on the MacIntosh?
Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Edgar Knapp

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)
"Has it ever occurred to you that you might be wrong?"

greg@cs.hw.ac.uk (Greg Michaelson) (06/07/89)

From article <5608@cs.utexas.edu>, by knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp):
> Is there an implementation of a lazy functional programming language
> (e.g. Miranda, Orwell, some LISP dialect?) that runs on the MacIntosh?
> Any pointers greatly appreciated.

There's a Macintosh implementation of Navel, a rather eccentric
applicative order, run-time typed, pure functional language with
lazy lists, but it doesn't have pointers :-). Lazy list arguments
can be used to get the effect of lazy evaluation. The Macintosh
implementation was developed at Griffiths University in Australia,
is experimental and is not supported. More details from me:

  greg@cs.hw.ac.uk

mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) (06/09/89)

In article <2602@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk>, greg@cs.hw.ac.uk (Greg Michaelson) writes:
> From article <5608@cs.utexas.edu>, by knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp):
> > Is there an implementation of a lazy functional programming language
> > (e.g. Miranda, Orwell, some LISP dialect?) that runs on the MacIntosh?
> > Any pointers greatly appreciated.
>
> There's a Macintosh implementation of Navel, a rather eccentric
> applicative order, run-time typed, pure functional language with
> lazy lists, but it doesn't have pointers :-). Lazy list arguments
> can be used to get the effect of lazy evaluation. The Macintosh
> implementation was developed at Griffiths University in Australia,
> is experimental and is not supported. More details from me:
>
>   greg@cs.hw.ac.uk

Orwell has been ported to the Macintosh by somebody at the University
of Glasgow.  I was there recently, and asked about getting a copy.
They didn't seem to think there would be any problem, but unfortunately
the current version will not run on a Mac II, which made it not too
useful to me.

I would be very interested in any such languages for the Mac.  Anyone
out there want to form an informal mailing list on this topic?

Ken McDonald
{...mcdonald@fornax.uucp}

PS  For the information of anyone interested in functional programming,
Glasgow University is awesome!