[comp.sys.mac] Intergraph emulation

bolles@blake.acs.washington.edu (Spencer Bolles) (06/07/89)

Intergraph is served by VAX systems, but because of its multi-user capabilities
the Intergraph can accomodate the Mac as a terminal emulator.  This and the
standlaone capabilities make any facility with an Intergraph made for such
a remote Macintosh.  Is Intergraph Corporation on the Network?  Does anyone
have any product familiarity or experience with this?

   There is now a newsgroup comp.sys.intergraph, if you haven't already
noticed.

Spencer Bolles  bolles@acs.blake.washington.edu

lenoirjw@cis9.INGR.COM (Billy Lenoir) (06/08/89)

In article <2326@blake.acs.washington.edu>, bolles@blake.acs.washington.edu (Spencer Bolles) writes:
> Intergraph is served by VAX systems, but because of its multi-user capabilities
> the Intergraph can accomodate the Mac as a terminal emulator.  This and the
> standlaone capabilities make any facility with an Intergraph made for such
> a remote Macintosh.  Is Intergraph Corporation on the Network?  Does anyone
> have any product familiarity or experience with this?

I have heard of terminal emulation of an intergraph workstation by third
party vendors, but not a mac emulation by intergraph.  I read somewhere
that VersaTerm was going to include Intergraph Interact Emulation in there
product.  This would allow a Mac to behave as an Intergraph Graphics
Workstation.  Are there any other products that have Intergraph Emulation?

>    There is now a newsgroup comp.sys.intergraph, if you haven't already
> noticed.

Since that group was created without any discussion, even here, it should
probably be removed.

  Signature Almost                  uucp : ...!uunet!ingr!b10!lenoir!lenoirjw
     Complete                   Internet :  b10!lenoir!lenoirjw@INGR.COM
                                   Phone H: 205-464-0664  W: 205-772-2676

sanders@maven.UUCP (Dennis Sanders) (06/09/89)

(Spencer Bolles) writes:
> Intergraph is served by VAX systems, but because of its multi-user capabilities
> the Intergraph can accomodate the Mac as a terminal emulator.  This and the
> standlaone capabilities make any facility with an Intergraph made for such
> a remote Macintosh.  Is Intergraph Corporation on the Network?  Does anyone
> have any product familiarity or experience with this?

This might be a misconception.  The two facts that I know of are:(1) Apple
and DEC are in bed together, thus there is a connectivity story from Mac
to VAX.  Intergraph VAXes are just about like any other VAXes except that we
add on some of our own hardware.  Thus, you should have no problem connecting
Mac to Intergraph.  And, (2) Intergraph has ported its standalone CAD
package (called Microstation) to the Mac II.  You can produce drawings on the
Mac II that are fully conpatible with the IGDS graphics system that resides
on the VAX.

>    There is now a newsgroup comp.sys.intergraph, if you haven't already
> noticed.

Yea, its about time.  I recommend you tune in and see what Intergraph is
all about.  We build the best Unix-based workstation in the business.

Dennis Sanders     <-- Opinion belongs to   | b11!dennis!sanders@ingr.com
Intergraph Corp.   <-- Paycheck comes from  |         or
Huntsville AL      <-- A good place to live | ...uunet!ingr!b11!dennis!sanders