[comp.sys.mac] SuperPaint 2.0 Upgrade Question

stovsky@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu (Stovsky) (06/08/89)

I recently received my Word 4.0 upgrade.  In the packet, there was a
coupon for an "educational" copy of SuperPaint 2.0 for $50.  I have a couple
of questions regarding this offer.

First, is there any difference between the educational version and the
commercially available (i.e. full priced) verison?

Second, does this offer include the manual, or is Silicon Beach pulling the
same stunt as Microsoft (your "free" upgrade comes with no documentation.  Oh,
you want to know how to use it?  For only $40 we'll sell you a manual!!)

Basically, if the program is the same as the commercial version & comes with
documentation I am interested in purchasing it.  However, if it is going to
cost me $75+ dollars, I think I will invest in Canvas.  From what I have
read Canvas is superior (but of course a bit more expensive than the special
offer via Microsoft.)

By the by, I recently purchased "Word 4 Companion" by the Cobb group to solve
the lack of documentation problem for Word.  It's only $22.95 and COMES WITH A
MONEY BACK GUANRANTEE!!  It is 800 some odd pages long & seems very complete.
I never heard of a manual with that kind of publisher confidence before.
Hopefully, this will be a trend setting policy.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this mystery!

	Mike

(stovsky@cis.ohio-state.edu)

jhc@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (06/09/89)

In article <51481@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <stovsky@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>I recently received my Word 4.0 upgrade.  In the packet, there was a
>coupon for an "educational" copy of SuperPaint 2.0 for $50.  I have a couple
>of questions regarding this offer.
>
>First, is there any difference between the educational version and the
>commercially available (i.e. full priced) verison?
>
>Second, does this offer include the manual, or is Silicon Beach pulling the
>same stunt as Microsoft (your "free" upgrade comes with no documentation.  Oh,
>you want to know how to use it?  For only $40 we'll sell you a manual!!)
>[etc.]

I believe that the upgrade coupon for SuperPaint2 that I got with my
commercial Word4 upgrade is also for $50.  I'd therefore assume that Silicon
Beach will send you the full package.  As a disclaimer, I'm doing this from
memory, and might be off a bit, but it was a 2 digit sum, and $50 sounds
right.  Also, I suppose it would be _possible_ (as opposed to likely) that
a company would send the full product to one group and a partial product to the
"educational" group for the same price; though I really doubt that SB would
do this.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.          "Entropy isn't what it used to be."
jhc@Crnlvax5.BITNET            --c/o Fortune @ batcomputer.UUCP