[comp.sys.mac] Word 3.0

jeff@felix.UUCP (02/19/87)

	Would someone post the 800 number used to contact
Microsoft concerning Word 3.0 questions.

	Thankyou.

--
					  Jeff Wallace
				{decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!felix!jeff

suhler@im4u.UUCP (02/20/87)

In article <2305@felix.UUCP> jeff@felix.UUCP (Jeff Wallace) writes:
>	Would someone post the 800 number used to contact
>Microsoft concerning Word 3.0 questions.

That's the number on the Word 1.05 box that you're supposed to call
for the $50 upgrade to 3.0.  That's where I was told that 3.0
won't be shipped until March 1st, despite what dealers think has
happened.
--
Paul Suhler        suhler@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU	512-474-9517

clive@druhi.UUCP (02/22/87)

in article <2305@felix.UUCP>, jeff@felix.UUCP (Jeff Wallace) says:

> 	Would someone post the 800 number used to contact
> Microsoft concerning Word 3.0 questions.
>
> 	Thankyou.

On my box, it says:  1-800-323-3577

You're welcome!

jmb@sgi.UUCP (02/25/87)

My copy arrived yesterday (2/24) in the mail.  Came with two manuals.  The
first is a nice reference manual in a three ring binder, while the
second claims to be a tutorial (it's 3/4 inch thick!).  From the manuals,
it would appear that Word3.0 can do everything except put the baby to bed,
and could probably be coerced into that, too.

I haven't tried to build a document yet, I'm still trying to assimilate
the differences with my original copy of Word.

-- Jim Barton
From the UNIX asylum at SiliconGraphics, Inc.
 jmb@sgi.sgi.com,  sgi!jmb@decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

kautz@allegra.UUCP (03/15/87)

Replace this line with your message

To reiterate the comments of some previous posters:  Word 3.0 is NOT
a finished product.  Certainly no body should pay full price for the
state it is in now.  Word 1.05 crashed my mac about twice in as many
years of heavy use.  3.0 crashes several times a day.  The latest
bug:  if it gets low on memory, it puts up a warning box, telling you
to save and quit.  But if this happens when you are opening a file,
it doesn't abort the open -- as soon as you click ok, the file starts to
be read again, and the alert box comes up again!  The only way out is
to reboot!  (Certainly NEVER use word under switcher on 512e-- you'll be
sorry!)

Word is definitely a camel (as in a horse designed by...).  Glossaries
(two kinds!)  work differently from styles work differently from
formulas work differently from indexes, etc.  The basic idea of
toggling between a view where some formatting commands are explicit
(like Tex) and where they are WYSIWYG is good.  But they didn't adopt
a uniform macro language, and don't let the user define his/her own macros.

Style sheets are another good idea that comes up short.  You can define
styles for entire paragraphs but NOT for arbitrary text.  Therefore you
cannot, e.g., create a style called EMPHASIZE, apply it to certain words, and
later decide if you want italics or underline.

For all my griping, I'm still using it (but carefully!).  One nice
out: I can always save my files in 1.05 format (Microsoft should get a
prize for providing downward compatibility) and go back to using the
workhorse.
--
---- Henry Kautz
	:uucp:	allegra!kautz

radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) (03/16/87)

In article <6547@allegra.UUCP>, kautz@allegra.UUCP (Henry Kautz) writes:

> For all my griping, I'm still using it (but carefully!).  One nice
> out: I can always save my files in 1.05 format (Microsoft should get a
> prize for providing downward compatibility) and go back to using the
> workhorse.

Don't be so sure. I haven't tried this, but I have tried the reverse.
Reading a file in Word 1.5 format into Word 3.0 seems to through away
the font size info.

    Radford Neal

kautz@allegra.UUCP (03/31/87)

Replace this line with your message
I sent in the "bug report" sheet that comes with the Word 3.0
documentation, and was pleasantly suprised when a few days later
somebody from Microsoft technical support called, and was very
concerned to hear about any problems.  He told me that Word was
shipped with a new version of Chooser installed in the system (sure
enough, it is!), and use of older versions could lead to wierd
problems.  And it sounds like the folks at Microsoft are hard at work,
fixing gliches...  They would really like to hear from anybody who can
track down reproducible situations which causes errors.

--

---- Henry Kautz
:uucp:	allegra!kautz

rcbaem@eutrc3.UUCP (Ernst Mulder) (06/09/89)

 Just finished a large essay using Word 3.01 and MacDraw. Just thought I
had to post this little article. :)
 People (including myself) can say what they like about Word, but when
it really comes to it (Hmm, is this a literal Dutch -> English translation?)
Word is really the nicest Wordprocessor I know.
 Word may have bugs, but working around them knowing them Word does all
the things I want. I have made some 'stationeries', and writing an essay
using those is really nice, having all the styles I want and the body of
an essay in _my_ style on line.
 Word is nice for another reason too. When I didn't have much memory a
long time ago, it worked fine in about 400K. Now I give Word 600K (Switcher)
and give Draw about 300K, and still have memory available. (I have 2M)
 I believe to have heard FullWrite needs 1M at least, MW II itself is
immensely huge, well, think I'll keep using Word 3.01 for a long
time, 'cause I like it!! :) [Never thought I'd say those words :)]

 Ernst.

Disclaimer: Maybe I'll wait for Word 4.01 to arrive ;)