[comp.sys.mac] Dead Mac: Macmemory board gone

jlh@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (06/07/89)

This afternoon my venerable Mac I (began life as 128K, upgraded to 512K,
upgraded to 2 meg with a MacMemory board) died. The repair man says that
the sad Mac codes indicate that the MacMemory board is gone.

This creates a major problem. MacMemory is no longer in business, or at least
is no longer supporting its Mac boards. The alternative he suggests would be
to upgrade to a Plus logic board ($795) and then add 2 meg RAM (~$250). Now
this seems a bit excessive.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on how I could make this a useable
machine again? Or should I just give it a decent burial?

Jan Harrington
Scholastech Telecommunications
husc6!stech!jlh or allegra!stech!jlh

	Miscellaneous profundidity:
		"No matter where you go, there you are..."
			Buckaroo Banzai

>This creates a major problem. MacMemory is no longer in business, or at least
>is no longer supporting its Mac boards. The alternative he suggests would be
>to upgrade to a Plus logic board ($795) and then add 2 meg RAM (~$250). Now
>this seems a bit excessive.

cheaper would be to replace the MacMemory board with a Dove board (about
$550 for 2 meg). Probably cheaper still would be to find a repair shop that
does more than board swap. There are usually a couple in MacTutor, and if
there isn't one in your area you might be able to ship the board to them if
they can repair it.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

You are false data. Therefore I shall ignore you.

afoster@ogccse.ogc.edu (Allan Foster) (06/07/89)

In article <1115@stech.UUCP> jlh@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>This afternoon my venerable Mac I (began life as 128K, upgraded to 512K,
>upgraded to 2 meg with a MacMemory board) died. The repair man says that
>the sad Mac codes indicate that the MacMemory board is gone.
>
>This creates a major problem. MacMemory is no longer in business, or at least
>is no longer supporting its Mac boards. The alternative he suggests would be
>to upgrade to a Plus logic board ($795) and then add 2 meg RAM (~$250). Now
>this seems a bit excessive.
>
>Does anyone else have any suggestions on how I could make this a useable
>machine again? Or should I just give it a decent burial?

The company that took over the MacMemory support is SICLONE.

They are based in California somwhere... They may still be
supporting the MacMemory boards...

Alternativly you could go to a component level repairman of
which there are many around who would fix your board for
a fraction of the price the Apple Tech would.

Around here in Portland OR you can have a Mac repaired with an
accelrrator for about $40 plus parts.  (I just had three done with
bad Power supplies and cost me $75 for the lot!)

 Hope that helps...

Regards
Allan Foster

--
Allan Foster      UUCP  : tektronix!ogcvax!afoster
CSNet : afoster@cse.ogc.edu      GEnie  : A.FOSTER

Bruce.Gerson@f823.n102.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Bruce Gerson) (06/09/89)

MacMemory boards are supposedly being supported by a company called
Siclone Systems.  Sorry I don't have a number handy but they're listed in
every Mac mag around.  Good luck.

--
Bruce Gerson  via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP:  ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!102!823!Bruce.Gerson