[comp.sys.mac] Apple System 7.0--A New Question

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (06/05/89)

I've seen lots of questions and comments about the new system 7.0, but have
not seen if the new system corrects the obvious problem with the slow
desktop file updating when copying files to a disk, particularly large
disks. I hope they've done something to speed things up. Comments?

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (06/06/89)

In article <1928@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>I've seen lots of questions and comments about the new system 7.0, but have
>not seen if the new system corrects the obvious problem with the slow
>desktop file updating when copying files to a disk, particularly large
>disks. I hope they've done something to speed things up. Comments?

Yes, this has been fixed. I use the past tense because the fix is already
available- it's called the Desktop Manager INIT. It comes with AppleShare,
but if you put it on your hard disk even without AppleShare, it will speed
things up tremendously.

Check the archives for more details- we've gone over this twice in excruciating
detail in the last five months, so it shouldn't be hard to find the articles.

When System 7 arrives, the DTM will be included in all systems.

---
Alexis Rosen
temporarily at spector@vx2.gba.nyu.edu
alexis@rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (06/06/89)

As I recall, the desktop manager is supposed to be included in 7.0. This is
what they have been doing with appleshare volumes. You can run it on a Mac
curreently, but Apple does not recommend it. I have found that it does help
with larger drives and even with mid size 60meg drives.

Hey! I could be wrong.

rob

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/06/89)

In article <1928@aucs.UUCP>, peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
> I've seen lots of questions and comments about the new system 7.0, but have
> not seen if the new system corrects the obvious problem with the slow
> desktop file updating when copying files to a disk, particularly large
> disks. I hope they've done something to speed things up. Comments?

	What they have done is to replace the current desktop management
scheme with one very similar to the one used by Appleshare (ie. the Desktop
Manager).  This will not only CONSIDERABLY speed up desktop updating but
will also help matters on larger volumes (like CD-ROM's, etc.).
	They have also provided a series of utilities to developers to make
accessing the Desktop Manager files nice and easy.  Developers will now be
able to do things like FAST (REAL FAST!) file searches using the B-Tree Manager,
read AND write file comments, and other nicities...

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (06/07/89)

Does anyone know if there'll be a CDEV or something to allow you to tell
the system the resolution of your monitor?

I hear lots of complaints that there are too many dpi on certain screens,
thereby rendering type too small to read comfortably at normal point sizes.
Outline fonts should fix this, if the system can know the display resolution
for each display. On multisyncs, etc, the display board may not know the
physical size of the screen it's displaying to, even though it knows how
many pixels it's putting out to it.

I'd hope that "dedicated" board/monitor combos would automatically provide
this info to the OS.

I hate "12-point" type that's only 1/10th inch high.

Scott Bayes

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (06/09/89)

In article <1928@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>I've seen lots of questions and comments about the new system 7.0, but have
>not seen if the new system corrects the obvious problem with the slow
>desktop file updating when copying files to a disk, particularly large
>disks. I hope they've done something to speed things up. Comments?

I think the big problem is that with large HDs, the desktop file is one of
the first ones to get fragmented.  Whenever I run diskexpress on my 80MHD,
desktop file updating speeds up considerably.  I hope it provides some way
to attempt to write a defragmented file (another toolbox call).  This would
be best, considering it would be useful of VM, too.

>Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst

-Ivan