[comp.sys.mac] parameter RAM blues

paulo@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Paulo L de Geus) (06/06/89)

Yesterday I had to clear the parameter RAM and since then my mac II is
booting in a different way, though not not showing any other problems.

Before this it would display the "Welcome to macintosh" message in colour
(the small picture) and then proceed loading the inits and displaying their
icons.

Now it displays the msg in monochrome, and just before showing the first
init the screen blinks and the "welcome" msg is gone, leaving only the
background pattern.  The icons continue to appear as normal, and in colour
(Suitcase II).

I tried clearing the parameter ram and cycling the  power repeated times to
no avail.  Using a program called NewPRAM (I  think) recently posted on the
net I examined the  settings  in the parameter ram   and there seems  to be
nothing related to the number of colours at startup.  Maybe there is, but I
would like  to know  which bit/memory position  should  be changed, and how
(don't know how to use macsbug, nor the addresses of this ram).

I know it's something with the parameter ram because even booting from
other systems on floppies (which I keep locked) the behaviour is the same.
Booting from those systems used to display the "welcome" msg in colour as
well.

Details:  mac II, 2 MB, Rodime 140 MB, 8 bit apple video, system 6.0.2

Any suggestions to explain the behaviour and a cure for it much
appreciated.  Replies to my address please, I'll post a summary.

Paulo L de Geus		   JANET: paulo@uk.ac.man.cs.ux
Dept of Computer Science   Internet: paulo%ux.cs.man.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Univ of Manchester         USENET:...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!man.cs.ux!paulo
Manchester M13 9PL  U.K.   BITNET: paulo@ux.cs.man.ac.uk

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (06/13/89)

In article <6291@ux.cs.man.ac.uk> paulo@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Paulo L de Geus) writes:
>Yesterday I had to clear the parameter RAM and since then my mac II is
>booting in a different way, though not not showing any other problems.
>
>Before this it would display the "Welcome to macintosh" message in colour
>(the small picture) and then proceed loading the inits and displaying their
>icons.
>
>Now it displays the msg in monochrome, and just before showing the first
>init the screen blinks and the "welcome" msg is gone, leaving only the
>background pattern.  The icons continue to appear as normal, and in colour
>(Suitcase II).
>
>I tried clearing the parameter ram and cycling the  power repeated times to
>no avail.  Using a program called NewPRAM (I  think) recently posted on the
>net I examined the  settings  in the parameter ram   and there seems  to be
>nothing related to the number of colours at startup.  Maybe there is, but I
>would like  to know  which bit/memory position  should  be changed, and how
>(don't know how to use macsbug, nor the addresses of this ram).

I'm assumming you mean 256 colors when you say "in colour".

Your problem is that your parameter RAM settings don't jive with your system
file.  Parameter RAM contains the boot screen and depth settings, which,
since you've reset PRAM, is 1 bit (2 colors).  However, since you didn't
change your monitors setting (in the Control Panel), the system still thinks
it should be 8 bits (256 colors).  At this point, which follows the "Welcome
to Macintosh" alert, the video card is switched to match the system settings.

Restting parameter RAM doesn't help the situation.  You need to open the
Control Panel and fiddle with your settings.  Afterwards, everything should
be OK.

The reason for this setup is because there is not enough space in PRAM for
the full monitors configuration, yet some information is needed before the
system file comes online.

						_emt