[comp.sys.mac] USERS OF MS EXCEL

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ronald Bannon) (06/11/89)

                        ATTENTION MS EXCEL USERS.

I received my Excel upgrade notice the other day and for $99 MS will
send me version 2.2, I presently own version 1.5 . The July issue of
MacUser has an ad for Wingz which offers registered users of Excel a
$99 upgrade to Wingz. I'm more of a software junky than a spreadsheet
user and am wondering which upgrade to go with. I really don't like
Excel and I've heard lots of good things about Wingz. Any suggestions?

From the Wingz ad:
      YOU HAVE UNTIL JUNE 30, 1989 TO UPGRADE
      1. See an authorized Wingz dealer for an upgrade form.
      2. Mail the form with $99 (US) with your valid Excel serial number.
      3. Call 1-800-331-1763 for more information. (Canada 1-416-566-7024)
      4. Offer good in US and Canada only.

I'm not employed nor do I have any connection with INFORMIX or Microsoft.

Thanks,
Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu

jb28+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey Joseph Barbose) (06/11/89)

I have not used Wingz, but I have heard that it is a pig (big, slow).

I have had extensive use with Excel and have just ordered the upgrade to
2.2.  From the upgrade sheet, 2.2 seems to have added most of what I
would have liked to see in Excel.  Graphics is a big deal for what I do
(medical research), so I use cricketGraph, cutting and pasting between
Excel and cGraph.  (this is the kind of thing that first made the Mac an
'innovative' machine).  Moving data between, either by
clipboard/scrapbook, or by saving the Excel files to text or SYLK, and
opening w/cGraph is mostly painless.

Jeff

bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mike Bell) (06/11/89)

In article <Jun.10.16.07.16.1989.11754@galaxy.rutgers.edu> bannon@andromeda (Ronald Bannon) writes:

>                        ATTENTION MS EXCEL USERS.
>
>I received my Excel upgrade notice the other day and for $99 MS will
>send me version 2.2, I presently own version 1.5 . The July issue of
>MacUser has an ad for Wingz which offers registered users of Excel a
>$99 upgrade to Wingz. I'm more of a software junky than a spreadsheet
>user and am wondering which upgrade to go with. I really don't like
>Excel and I've heard lots of good things about Wingz. Any suggestions?
>
>From the Wingz ad:
>      YOU HAVE UNTIL JUNE 30, 1989 TO UPGRADE
>      1. See an authorized Wingz dealer for an upgrade form.
>      2. Mail the form with $99 (US) with your valid Excel serial number.
>      3. Call 1-800-331-1763 for more information. (Canada 1-416-566-7024)
>      4. Offer good in US and Canada only.
>
>I'm not employed nor do I have any connection with INFORMIX or Microsoft.
>
>Thanks,
>Ron Bannon
>bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu

   The Answer is simple..... Get Wingz. It is a lot more than a spreadsheet.
Anyone who hasnt taken a look at the Wingz demo disk should; even that only
BEGINS to scratch the surface of the list of possible applications for the
product. Since I got Wingz in January, Excel has had a prominent place in
the back of one of my desk drawers (but not in my Software collection).

				Mike

				bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

Mike Bell                                     CSnet: BELLMA%ERVX01@dupont.com
Senior Engineer                               Applelink: D2747
DuPont Electronic Imaging
Core Technology Group

            Can YOUR mac play FOOTBALL ????

rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu (06/13/89)

/* Written 10:55 pm  Jun 10, 1989 by jb28+@andrew.cmu.edu in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */
I have not used Wingz, but I have heard that it is a pig (big, slow).

/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */

I have been using Wingz on my Plus, and it is perfectly useable, and
much faster than Excel.  Then only problem is when you do 3D graphs -
these are real slow, and it updates them (redrawing the entire graph)
much too often.
I intend to move all my spreadsheet and graphing work from Excel and
Cricket Graph to Wingz.  Three things I would like to see in Wingz are:

ability to graph non-adjacent columns more easily, like in CG
error bars (I didn't see any mention of them in manuals)
ability to update external references without the external document being
	open

yes, Wingz is big - I have to turn off multifinder to use it since I
only have 1M - but Word 4.0 and LightSpeed C have the same problem,
so I'm just resigning myself to running finder until I get more memory

David Rudolph       rudolph@m.cs.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois

mlloyd@maths.tcd.ie (Michael Lloyd) (06/13/89)

In article <gYYS-qy00XcL029HQm@andrew.cmu.edu> jb28+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey Joseph Barbose) writes:
>I have not used Wingz, but I have heard that it is a pig (big, slow).

I have.  It is.  At least, IMHO, it is.
It offers good recacls which are important to me - I use number-crunching
spreadsheet layouts which take 2 to 5 minutes in Excel.
However, I still use the big E.  WingZ has too many rough edges for my liking.

Without getting too nitpicking, I would site
  1) scroll bars automatically covering max size - very silly, and abandoned
     by Excel many upgrades ago
  2) that silly button which appears when scrolling - a gimmic if ever I did
     see one, especially given point 1, which means you cannot use it usefully
  3) most seriously, given all the hype, I dont find WingZ graphing terribly
     useful.  I tend to work with a b&w laserwriter, so I want good b&w graphs.
     I find the screen appearance of b&w graphs very bad indeed at default
     settings, so it takes too much effort to see what I want to look at

Etc, etc.  The issue of E v WZ has been hacked out before.

>I have had extensive use with Excel and have just ordered the upgrade to
>2.2.  From the upgrade sheet, 2.2 seems to have added most of what I
>would have liked to see in Excel.  Graphics is a big deal for what I do
>(medical research), so I use cricketGraph, cutting and pasting between
>Excel and cGraph.  (this is the kind of thing that first made the Mac an
>'innovative' machine).  Moving data between, either by
>clipboard/scrapbook, or by saving the Excel files to text or SYLK, and
>opening w/cGraph is mostly painless.
>
>Jeff

I do similar things from E to DataDesk.  You just have to watch MultiFinder,
but that is not really surprising.  I reckon, in agreement with Jeff, that
Excel does the job.

I dont like Microsoft, and I dont like their products, but I must admit that
I USE Excel.  It does the job, and like a great car, I have to know its
weaknesses as well as its strengths.  At this stage, I feel I know when
and why I will cause it to crash or be generally slow and irritating.
With this knowledge, I find WingZ does not match up.  It has good features,
and it beats Excel without question in SOME areas, but to my mind that does
not justify its use.

Mike.

Mike Lloyd, Dept of Statistics, |"Does anyone understand what is happening? ..
Trinity College, Dublin,        |  They tell me this is living -
Ireland.                        |   They tell me this is LIFE!"
(mlloyd@maths.tcd.ie)           | - Michael Been, of "The Call"