[comp.sys.mac] Tape systems for Mac

uucibg@sw1e.UUCP (3929]) (06/13/89)

In article <5190@pt.cs.cmu.edu> aki@speech1.cs.cmu.edu (Yoshiaki Ohshima)writes:
>Date: Mon,  5 Jun 89 23:08:26 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Nathan James Loofbourrow <nl0s+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>To: Yoshiaki.Ohshima@speech1.cs.cmu.edu
>Subject: Re: Backup using VCR
>
>I was looking at Videotrax at Macworld 88 - it's a perfectly nice
>system, but (a) it's slow, and (b) it's expensive. ($499, provided you
>already own a VCR) You can get a dedicated tape backup device for as
>little as $700, which is many many times faster, and includes a true
>verify. Videotrax cheats by storing data redundantly (to catch errors)
>which I suppose is reliable as long as someone didn't rewire your VCR so
>he/she could watch Revenge of the Nerds. "-) You can't really be sure
>that everything stored okay until you rewind and replay it.
>
>Nathan Loofbourrow

Hmm, this brings up a question.  What are the current prices for the various
tape/removable harddisk/bernoulli/etc/etc/etc systems?  Has anyone had a
particularly good or bad experience with a given vendor or product?  Which ones
are compatible with A/UX (as if I'll ever really be able to afford it, sigh)?

I'm looking for a Mac II so I guess NuBus driven systems would be okay, though
the idea seems a bit strange when the SCSI port beckons...

Thanks,
Brian R. Gilstrap                   | Southwestern Bell Telephone | Disclaimer:
...!ames!killer!texbell!sw1e!uucibg | One Bell Center Rm 17-G-4   | my mouth &
...!bellcore!texbell!sw1e!uucibg    | St. Louis, MO 63101         | fingers: my
...!uunet!swbatl!sw1e!uucibg        | (314) 235-3929              | opinions
"Winnie-the-Pooh read the two notices very carefully, first from left to right,
and afterwards, in case he had missed some of it, from right to left."
                                               -- A. A. Milne