[comp.sys.mac] Mac data encryption

gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) (06/12/89)

I am interested in hearing from people out there who have had experience
in dealing with data encryption software...ie, software to password
protect files on my HD.

The caliber of people I am dealing with makes it useless to make the files
invisible or to use shareware such as lockout (which can be overridden
by inserting a floppy)...I have heard of MacSafe (commerical) and am
wondering about it's ease of use and reliability.  Also, what happens
to your encrypted software if for some reason you forget your password?
Is it permanently encrypted?  Is there no hope for it?

Also, if anyone else has heard of any shareware programs that do this,
that would be my first choice, but I have not be able to locate anything
shareware that does data encryption.  Are there other commericial packages?

Thanks for the advice...

P.S. I will be using a Mac II so it needs to be compatible.

* Greg Ford								      *
* Univeristy of Southern California	Internet: gford%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu *

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (06/13/89)

From article <4074@merlin.usc.edu>, by gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford):
> I am interested in hearing from people out there who have had experience
> in dealing with data encryption software...ie, software to password
> protect files on my HD.

  I have purchased PC Tools for the Mac by Central Point Software which has
  several very useful programs (worth the $).  The one in which you would be
  interested is called PC SECURE.  There is an application program and
  also a DA that does the same.  I have used them and they are easy to use.

> Is it permanently encrypted?  Is there no hope for it?

  The user is warned to not forget the password . . .

> Also, if anyone else has heard of any shareware programs that do this,

  I have heard (but not used) one called MacPassword which I believe was
  posted recently to comp.sys.mac.binaries.

> that would be my first choice, but I have not be able to locate anything
> shareware that does data encryption.  Are there other commericial packages?

  There are several commercial packages (some expensive ones) available.

> Thanks for the advice...

  You're welcome.

> P.S. I will be using a Mac II so it needs to be compatible.

  I believe most are compatible with the Mac II.

=-=-= Email: david@jc3b21.UUCP -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dave =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EOT

pff@thumper.bellcore.com (Peter Ferris) (06/13/89)

From rutgers!Postmaster@bellcore.UUCP Mon Jun 12 17:06:34 1989
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 89 15:43:12 EDT
From: Postmaster@rutgers.UUCP (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
To: thumper!pff@bellcore.UUCP

>>> RCPT To:<gfor@nunki.usc.edu>
<<< 550 <gfor@nunki.usc.edu>... User unknown
550 apple!bloom-beacon!usc!merlin.usc.edu!nunki.usc.edu!gfor... User unknown