[comp.sys.mac] Word 4.0 Color Options

jtwarden@pawl.rpi.edu (Joseph T. Warden) (06/07/89)

At the risk of someone flaming "READ THE <> MANUAL", what is the
extent of color support in Word 4.0? A brief perusal through the
Table of Contents of this 455 page behemoth, suggested that color
is available in text. But can one specify background color, in
the manner of (dare I mention the word?) the DOS version of Word?

Thanks all.

Joseph Warden
Department of Chemistry
Rensselaer
BITNET: jtwarden@rpitsmts

ted@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ted Jardine) (06/10/89)

From article <5324@rpi.edu>, by jtwarden@pawl.rpi.edu (Joseph T. Warden):
> At the risk of someone flaming "READ THE <> MANUAL", what is the
> extent of color support in Word 4.0? A brief perusal through the
> Table of Contents of this 455 page behemoth, suggested that color
> is available in text. But can one specify background color, in
> the manner of (dare I mention the word?) the DOS version of Word?
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Joseph Warden
> Department of Chemistry
> Rensselaer
> BITNET: jtwarden@rpitsmts

It appears that a small number of colors may be specified for text.
I created a color graphic using MacDraw II 1.1, pasted it into my
MS Word 4.0 text file on the Mac II, and voila!  Back to basic black
and white!!  So color is available, but only in a limited way.  If
one considers the number of color printers presently available,
especially versus the number of b&w ones, the limited way may not
be so limited.  I'd think there may be some way to mess with the
MSWD file to get color in graphics to be preserved.  Anyone have an
idea on this?

--
TJ {With Amazing Grace} The Piper
aka Ted Jardine  CFI-ASME/I

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (06/11/89)

In article <2707@ssc-vax.UUCP> ted@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ted Jardine) writes:
>I created a color graphic using MacDraw II 1.1, pasted it into my
>MS Word 4.0 text file on the Mac II, and voila!  Back to basic black
>and white!!

This wasn't Word's fault.  If you read the MacDraw II documentation
you will discover that it doesn't copy color info to the clipboard,
but maintains special internal info for cut/paste between MacDraw windows.

Jon

awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) (06/13/89)

In article <9922@polya.Stanford.EDU>, shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:
> In article <2707@ssc-vax.UUCP> ted@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ted Jardine) writes:
> >I created a color graphic using MacDraw II 1.1, pasted it into my
> >MS Word 4.0 text file on the Mac II, and voila!  Back to basic black
> >and white!!
>
> This wasn't Word's fault.  If you read the MacDraw II documentation
> you will discover that it doesn't copy color info to the clipboard,
> but maintains special internal info for cut/paste between MacDraw windows.
>
> Jon

Doesn't MacDraw II v1.1 support color (PICT2?) to the clipboard?  I don't
have Word 4.0 or I'd try it.

/alastair/

suitti@haddock.ima.isc.com (Stephen Uitti) (06/13/89)

In article <9922@polya.Stanford.EDU> shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:
>In article <2707@ssc-vax.UUCP> ted@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ted Jardine) writes:
>>I created a color graphic using MacDraw II 1.1, pasted it into my
>>MS Word 4.0 text file on the Mac II, and voila!  Back to basic black
>>and white!!
>
>This wasn't Word's fault.  If you read the MacDraw II documentation
>you will discover that it doesn't copy color info to the clipboard,
>but maintains special internal info for cut/paste between MacDraw windows.

Yeah.  I've seen color images in Word 3.02.  Color fonts were
posted awhile back.  The description text used color pictures.
They work.  Canvas 2.0 exports color pictures to Word, as i
recall.  Now if only i had a 300 dpi 24 bit color printer (looks
nice on the screen).  I do print halftone pictures from within
Word (to a laser printer), but the real work is done by Digital
Darkroom or Canvas.

Stephen.

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (06/14/89)

In article <100@dbase.UUCP> awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) writes:

>Doesn't MacDraw II v1.1 support color (PICT2?) to the clipboard?  I don't
>have Word 4.0 or I'd try it.
>
>/alastair/

Yes, it's a setting in the preferences dialog.  This only applies to
exporting color, you can't import it - yet.

Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce