[comp.sys.mac] Multifinder Woes

bill@utastro.UUCP (11/24/87)

I've been playing with multifinder for a few days now, and it's
very nice. But the way it handles desk accessories is the pits.

All desk accessories that look at keystroke events to alter
what the underlying program actually gets are *BROKEN* under
multifinder. This means that DAs such as SmartQuotes (which
puts proper curly quotes into text--useful with Word) and
MacLightning (real-time spell-checker) don't work any more.

Apple, I know you hope DAs will go away given enough time, but
this is the wrong way to do things. PLEASE give us back our
desk accessories the way they used to be.

Thank you for listening.

Bill Jefferys

jdm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (11/25/87)

In article <2272@utastro.UUCP>, bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) writes:

> All desk accessories that look at keystroke events to alter
> what the underlying program actually gets are *BROKEN* under
> multifinder. This means that DAs such as SmartQuotes (which

	If you hold down option before pulling down the apple menu, then
the DA is opened within the applications sector, and it should work as
usual.
						Jim Meiss
						jdm@ngp.utexas.edu

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (11/25/87)

In article <2272@utastro.UUCP> bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) writes:
~
~All desk accessories that look at keystroke events to alter
~what the underlying program actually gets are *BROKEN* under
~multifinder. This means that DAs such as SmartQuotes (which
~puts proper curly quotes into text--useful with Word) and
~MacLightning (real-time spell-checker) don't work any more.
~
Thanks to Charles Geiger, I have found out how to solve this
problem. Hold down the *option* key while choosing the DA and it
will run in the application's partition.

Bill Jefferys
--
Glend.	I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hot.	Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you

kraut@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (11/27/87)

In article <6929@ut-ngp.UUCP>, jdm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Jim Meiss) writes:

> 	If you hold down option before pulling down the apple menu, then
> the DA is opened within the applications sector, and it should work as usual.

am I mistaken, or do you run the danger that the amount of amount of memory
requested by an an application may not be enough to accomodate some DAs?
with unpredicatable consequences, of course ...

BTW, under MultiFinder I've noticed that when I am forced to use the Interrupt
button to escape a "tight spot" and I enter the MacsBugs command EA (for
EscapetoApplication), the application (I am thinking, in particular, of
VersaTerm-3.0) is first closed and then restarted - not, as it used to do,
simply continued ....

Also, it may be worth mentioning at this opportunity, that I have experienced
situations where a COPY and PASTE produces garbage, rather than the 5 words
selected .... - seems also having to do with lack of free memory in the
application's partition ...

--
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu    (prefered address)
kraut@ut-ngp.uucp               (if you must)

riddle@emory.uucp (Larry Riddle) (11/27/87)

>> All desk accessories that look at keystroke events to alter
>> what the underlying program actually gets are *BROKEN* under
>> multifinder. This means that DAs such as SmartQuotes (which
>
>	If you hold down option before pulling down the apple menu, then
>the DA is opened within the applications sector, and it should work as
>usual.

This method needs some modification to work if you are running
Suitcase. When you hold down the option key before pulling down the
apple menu, none of the DA's will appear, thus allowing you to quickly
move to the end of the menu where the currently open applications under
multifinder are listed. However, all you have to do, after holding down
the option key, is to click on the Suitcase menu selection. This will
bring up a dialog box with all the DA's installed in the system or
suitcase files, and you can then make your selection and open the DA
from there.

Larry Riddle
riddle@emory
--
Larry Riddle        |  gatech!emory!riddle               USENET
Emory University    |  riddle@emory                      CSNET,BITNET

In article <2351@emory.uucp>, riddle@emory.uucp (Larry Riddle) writes:

> >	If you hold down option before pulling down the apple menu, then
> >the DA is opened within the applications sector, and it should work as usual

> This method needs some modification to work if you are running
> Suitcase. When you hold down the option key before pulling down the
> move to the end of the menu where the currently open applications under
> apple menu, none of the DA's will appear ....
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that is not what happens on my system where SOME DAs show, though not all.
what I might have been doing different from you is that I have SEVERAL
Suitcase-files in the folder DAs .... (named System-4.2-DAs, SideKick-2.0-DAs,
PD-DAs, ....) and if the one I want is one of the ones not showing ....

> 					..... thus allowing you to quickly
> multifinder are listed. However, all you have to do, after holding down
> the option key, is to click on the Suitcase menu selection. This will
> bring up a dialog box with all the DA's installed in the system or
> suitcase files, and you can then make your selection and open the DA
> from there.

.... so I did not push the OPTION until *AFTER* I had clicked on the Apple
to open the DA-menu and only *THEN* pushed the OPTION *BEFORE* selecting the
DA which I wanted .... (you guessed right, it was one of those not showing
the first time around ...:-)

--

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (11/29/87)

In article <2351@emory.uucp>, riddle@emory.uucp (Larry Riddle) writes:
> >	If you hold down option before pulling down the apple menu, then
>
> This method needs some modification to work if you are running
> Suitcase. When you hold down the option key before pulling down the
> apple menu, none of the DA's will appear, thus allowing you to quickly
> multifinder are listed. However, all you have to do, after holding down
> the option key, is to click on the Suitcase menu selection. This will
>
> Larry Riddle
> riddle@emory

Why not click over the apple menu so that it falls down......then hold down the
option key as you release your mouse over a menu selection?

This works much better if you're selecting items near the top.  Or if you have
few items to begin with.

--
Raymond Lau                      {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!raylau

GEnie:RayLau       Delphi:RaymondLau     CIS:76174,2617
"Take it and StuffIt."

shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) (11/30/87)

The biggest annoyance I have with MF and Suitcase is that you can't open
any other DAs, Fonts, sound files, etc. once you have started MF.

And of course you need to reboot to get back to the Finder.  MF needs a
Shut Up option like Servant (shudder).

Shane Looker                       |  "He's dead Jim,
shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu            |     you grab his tricorder,
uunet!umix!pepe.cc.umich.edu!shane |     I'll get his wallet."
Looker@um.cc.umich.edu

glennr@cognos.uucp (Glenn Rasmussen) (01/15/88)

[Munch!]

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but since I just got a copy of the
new system software, I thought I'd raise a point concerning the system heap
under Multifinder. Forgive me if I'm repeating old news ...

System resources, such as fonts, are now loaded into the system heap instead
of the application heap. Unfortunately, they never seem to be purged. This
can have disastrous effects. For instance, I can run Edit, then run, say,
MacDraw, and use every font in my system file. Now, if I quit MacDraw, and try
to go back into Edit, I find that there isn't enough space on my lowly MacPlus
to launch Edit.

A question for the net, and Apple in particular:
Is there any way to cause MultiFinder to compact the system heap and throw
away resources such as FONTs and FONDs (the most obvious candidates)? Are there
any plans to enhance the memory allocation under MultiFinder to try system heap
compaction when it can't find enough space to launch? (I would think
MultiFinder would want to do this before launching ANY application).

Any and all constructive comments are welcome!

--
Glenn D. Rasmussen     Voice:    (613) 738-1440     Snails : P. O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated    Pictures: (613) 738-0002              3755 Riverside Dr.

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (01/21/88)

I've posted this once before and I'll post it again...If you hold down the
option key when selecting a DA form the apple menu it will load it into the
current applications memory space instead of the DA Handlers.
--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) (06/14/89)

In Multifinder, is there a way to turn off the finder so that it doesn't
take up the memory?  IF so, I think that is what I have done, but didn't
realize I did it.  I would like to know how to leave the finder running
when I launch an application.

When I run an application (In this case MacTerminal), the icon appeared
in the upper right corner and the application ran fine.  When I tried to
click on the icon to return to the finder to launch another application,
it wouldn't switch.  Also, the finder was not listing in the apple menu.
Thirdly, in the finder (before I launched MacTerminal), when I pulled
down the "About the finder", I saw that there was no memory allocated to
the finder and only the system showed up.

I am using a Mac II, 2 meg RAM, sys 6.0.2, finder 6.1, multifinder 6.0.1

Any ideas?  (I also noted that it takes about 10 - 20 seconds to launch
	     a file in multifinder...disk doesn't spin, nothing apparent
	     is happening, but then it finally goes)

* Greg Ford								      *
* Univeristy of Southern California	Internet: gford%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu *

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (06/14/89)

I have noticed that under multifinder the Command-` key does a switch.
This is irritating in my terminal program, which wants to use
Command-` for `.  Is there any way to turn this off?

Jon