[comp.sys.mac] What's the scoop on StuffIt Deluxe?

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (06/08/89)

I noticed a listing for it in the new ComputerWare catalog -- is it out yet?
Has any information on upgrading to it for registered users been announced?
Anyone know what the "deluxe" features are?  (Please, God -- Batch
Stuffing.)  Will Batman and Robin be able to escape from the giant ice cream
soda?  Huh?

For the answer to these and other thrilling questions... I need the help of
someone In The Know.

TIA...

                           "Doesn't the futility of
                            it all depress you,
                            Bernard?"
                                                     "Not really, Minister.
                                                      I'm a civil servant."
                                           -- Yes, Prime Minister
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, hplsla, thebes, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/08/89)

In article <8905@fluke.COM>, moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> I noticed a listing for it in the new ComputerWare catalog -- is it out yet?
> Has any information on upgrading to it for registered users been announced?
> Anyone know what the "deluxe" features are?  (Please, God -- Batch
> Stuffing.)  Will Batman and Robin be able to escape from the giant ice cream
> soda?  Huh?

	According to the president of Aladdin Systems, inc., (the folks who
got Ray's stuff) Stuffit Deluxe is slightly behind original schedule but
both it and Shortcut (a REAL NICE extension of SFVolInit) should be available
by/at the Boston MacWorld Expo.
	Stuffit Deluxe offers a number of REALLY nice improvements both to the
interface (to make it less frightening to the noive) as well as significant
abilities such as archive changes at ANY level of a hierarchy (ie. add a new
file three levels down, delete everything at the 2nd level, etc.), printing
and saving of archive contents (in text format), and lots of other stuff that
I don't remember from seeing a demo a couple of weeks back.
	I am not sure what you mean by 'Batch Stuffing' but I seem to be able
to do that already in some regard.  If you have a more concreate statement about
what  you need, I can tell you if it's got it.

 I think Batman will die, but Robin will live and develop 'bats' in his belfry

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

quinnt@rpics (Tom Quinn) (06/09/89)

In article <12071@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
> [Some interesting comments on the forthcoming StuffIt Deluxe deleted]
>--
>+--------------------------------------------------+
>Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
>Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
>UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

Will there be an upgrade made available to those who purchased the
shareware version of StuffIt and StuffIt utilities?  Any word (or
guesses) on cost?

Thomas F. Quinn					quinnt@turing.cs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Computer Science Department

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/11/89)

In article <5378@rpi.edu>, quinnt@rpics (Tom Quinn) writes:
> In article <12071@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
> > [Some interesting comments on the forthcoming StuffIt Deluxe deleted]
> >--
>
> Will there be an upgrade made available to those who purchased the
> shareware version of StuffIt and StuffIt utilities?  Any word (or
> guesses) on cost?

	There will OF COURSE be an upgrade policy for Stuffit owners, as well
as updates to the utilites.  I do not believe that Aladdin has set pricing yet
but they are committed to the users who have made Stuffit the standard that it
has become.

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) (06/11/89)

If Lau has sold Stuffit, then who do I send my $15 to now!?

nrg

--
York University       Department of Philosophy       Toronto, Ontario, Canada
 "It's only by thinking even more crazily than philosophers do that you

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (06/15/89)

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:

> If Lau has sold Stuffit, then who do I send my $15 to now!?

There will *always* be a shareware version of StuffIt; it has not been
"sold". There will be a change in the shareware agreement; Aladdin
will announce details when the new versions are released.

As far as where to send the money, the address given in StuffIt is
still valid (to the best of my knowledge).

There will, as Leonard mentioned, be an upgrade policy for those
people who have already registered. I do not know when the cut-off
date is to register to get the upgrade price for SIT Deluxe. If there
is sufficient interest, I will enquire (e-mail to me please, save
bandwidth).

Stephan Somogyi                 MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com
NetWorkShop Coordinator                    or
MacUser                      ...sun!cup.portal.com!MacUserLabs

Stay alert, trust no-one, keep your laser handy.

Any opinions expressed above are mine.