[comp.sys.mac] That *#)%*!!! CD-ROM player

jlh@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (06/15/89)

I bought an Apple CD ROM player (the developer's discount being too good
to pass up) and now I've got a strange problem. My Mac II won't even boot
with the setup disk. The setup disk has System 6.0.2 and the CD ROM player
driver on it. I did manage to get the driver into my system folder, but with
the driver in place, the system won't boot. It hangs at the "Welcome to Mac"
sign. Now, I did remove all inits - no change. And to make it stranger -
the setup disk WILL boot in my SE/30.

I really don't want to put the CD ROM player on the SE/30 - that's my
A/UX machine. Does anyone out there have any knowledge of the CD ROM player
and could give me a hint? My Mac II has 5 meg RAM, a Radius 2 page display
(the startup monitor), and Apple color monitor, a tape backup, a Jasmine
external drive, and a DaynaFile. The startup disk is the internal hard
drive. Oh - there's also an AST 286 board inside. Could any of this
be causing the conflict? I'm really stumped...

Jan Harrington
Scholastech Telecommunications
husc6!stech!jlh or allegra!stech!jlh

	Miscellaneous profundidity:
		"No matter where you go, there you are..."
			Buckaroo Banzai

dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) (06/15/89)

In article <1124@stech.UUCP> jlh@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>I bought an Apple CD ROM player (the developer's discount being too good
>to pass up) and now I've got a strange problem. My Mac II won't even boot
>with the setup disk. The setup disk has System 6.0.2 and the CD ROM player
>driver on it. I did manage to get the driver into my system folder, but with
>the driver in place, the system won't boot. It hangs at the "Welcome to Mac"
>sign. Now, I did remove all inits - no change. And to make it stranger -
>the setup disk WILL boot in my SE/30.
>and could give me a hint? My Mac II has 5 meg RAM, a Radius 2 page display
>(the startup monitor), and Apple color monitor, a tape backup, a Jasmine
>external drive, and a DaynaFile. The startup disk is the internal hard
>drive. Oh - there's also an AST 286 board inside. Could any of this
>be causing the conflict? I'm really stumped...

With all those SCSI devices out there, are you sure you don't have
conflicting ID's?

-Dave

           Dave Wells, Apple Computer, Inc.  MS: 37-O  (408) 974-5515
          Mail: dwells@apple.com or AppleLink d.wells or GEnie D.WELLS
 These opinions may be nothing more than the ramblings of a fatigued tinkerer
                         -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 There's one big difference between genius and stupidity.  Genius has limits.

jlh@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (06/15/89)

in article <32437@apple.Apple.COM>, dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) says:

> In article <1124@stech.UUCP> jlh@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>>I bought an Apple CD ROM player (the developer's discount being too good
>>to pass up) and now I've got a strange problem. My Mac II won't even boot
>>with the setup disk. The setup disk has System 6.0.2 and the CD ROM player
>>driver on it. I did manage to get the driver into my system folder, but with
>>the driver in place, the system won't boot. It hangs at the "Welcome to Mac"
>>sign. Now, I did remove all inits - no change. And to make it stranger -
>>the setup disk WILL boot in my SE/30.
>>and could give me a hint? My Mac II has 5 meg RAM, a Radius 2 page display
>>(the startup monitor), and Apple color monitor, a tape backup, a Jasmine
>>external drive, and a DaynaFile. The startup disk is the internal hard
>>drive. Oh - there's also an AST 286 board inside. Could any of this
>>be causing the conflict? I'm really stumped...
>
> With all those SCSI devices out there, are you sure you don't have
> conflicting ID's?
>
> -Dave

Absolutely. I'm certain for two reasons. First, the CD ROM has the same
SCSI ID as the A/UX drive that I removed from the SCSI chain (it went to
the SE/30). Second, I used Jasmine's DriveWare to see what devices were
recognized at what address and sure enough, they were all there where they
should be. Is it possible that the CD ROM player driver is incompatible
with one of those devices (the Daynfile or the CMS tape drive?)?????

This is very nasty, yes?

Jan Harrington
Scholastech Telecommunications
husc6!stech!jlh or allegra!stech!jlh

	Miscellaneous profundidity:
		"No matter where you go, there you are..."
			Buckaroo Banzai

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (06/15/89)

Try renaming "Apple CD-ROM" to "zApple CD-ROM".  Some INITs want to be
first in line, and get upset when they aren't.  For example, some early
versions of ColorDesk assumed they would be first to install.  This is a
bug in the INIT, not in Apple CD-ROM driver.

Remember, your CDev and RDev files can have INIT code in them...

Check your termination of the SCSI line.  Move the AppleCD SC to be the
first drive in the chain, or the last (I mean physically, not scsi id.)
Be sure that you only have two terminators in the system; your internal
hard disk is already terminated if it's an Apple drive, so you should only
have one terminator, on the last cable.  Try putting the terminator
in-line to the last cable rather than on the adjacent connector.

That's about all the magic I can think of, if you're sure of your scsi
id's.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"