[comp.sys.mac] [Stolen] Macintosh ROM Sources

stuart@ihlpa.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) (06/09/89)

In article <3734@tank.uchicago.edu>, ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
> In article <11894@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, samalone@athena.mit.edu (Stuart A. Malone) writes...
>
> >This has gotten out of hand. [...]
> You're right: this is getting ridiculous.  [...]
I agree. Just what we need, software guerrilla war tactics.
Good grief!  Aren't there better things these people can do
with their lives than pursue ILLEGAL activities for freeing
up software?  C'mon, guys, use your pent-up energies for
something worthwhile, like helping the poor and disadvantaged!

SOFTWARE is NOT this important.

Sometimes I think we americans have got our concepts of
rights all messed up.

<<Flame off>>

Sorry, guys, I just get SOO mad at these STUPID actvities
that I could just, uhm,

<<FLAME OFF, OK?>>

Back to my cage...

Stuart

--
Stuart Ericson			AT&T Bell Laboratories	  | Note: area code 312
USEnet: att!ihlpa!stuart	IH 1C215		  |   becomes 708 on

fischer@arisia.Xerox.COM (Ronald A. Fischer) (06/11/89)

Unfortunately the worst of the side effects will likely be on the work
environment at Apple.  You can bet that right now security all over
Apple Computer Corp. has become much tighter, likely restricting
dialup access, file service access and checking bags on the way out.
Anyone from Apple like to comment?

IMHO this will probably result in much more restricted access to
source code between groups inside the company, a kind of balkanization
if you will.  This happens in large companies as part of growth, but
usually due to internal power stuggles between managers. Things are
likely to be quite messy and unpleasant as this gets worked out from
the top down.

I've heard that Apple is company full of visionaries; everyone thinks
they have a way to change the world for the better.  I guess its not
suprising that those visions would be diverse enough to encompass
behavior we usually associate with "crusading journalists" uncovering
the dark and secret deeds of individuals in our government.

Pity the avergage hacker at Apple these days, targeted by FSF for
being too successful, getting dirty looks from the security folk on
the way in and out.  Their loss of innocence has reached new heights.
Apple, as a corporate person, is now a schiziod adult.

(ron)

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (06/11/89)

In article <1072@arisia.Xerox.COM> fischer@arisia.Xerox.COM (Ronald A. Fischer) writes:

>I've heard that Apple is company full of visionaries; everyone thinks
>they have a way to change the world for the better.  I guess its not
>suprising that those visions would be diverse enough to encompass
>behavior we usually associate with "crusading journalists" uncovering
>the dark and secret deeds of individuals in our government.

Granted the Read Me file said something like "we at Apple," but anyone could
have written it, Apple employee or not.  Let's not jump the gun until it's
pointed at the guilty party...

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

Chris.Parson@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chris Parson) (06/12/89)

        I don't understand the furor!  MacNosy ( by Jasik Designs ) has
been able to disassemble the Mac ROMs for years!  So the code has
been availible for years.  Big deal.

--
Chris Parson  via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP:  ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!Chris.Parson

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (06/14/89)

In article <14758.2494DD71@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>, Chris.Parson@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chris Parson) writes...

>        I don't understand the furor!  MacNosy ( by Jasik Designs ) has
>been able to disassemble the Mac ROMs for years!  So the code has
>been availible for years.  Big deal.

It's a big deal because disassembly <> source code.  Source code is _much_ more
informative.  It's like having a copy of a book in English and in a foreign
language (which you don't speak).  The same information is there, but it's much
easier to understand in one version than the other.

Again, the people who stole this are weenies.

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

In article <3819@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

   In article <14758.2494DD71@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>, Chris.Parson@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Chris Parson) writes...

   >        I don't understand the furor!  MacNosy ( by Jasik Designs ) has
   >been able to disassemble the Mac ROMs for years!  So the code has
   >been availible for years.  Big deal.

   It's a big deal because disassembly <> source code.  Source code is
   _much_ more informative.  It's like having a copy of a book in
   English and in a foreign language (which you don't speak).  The
   same information is there, but it's much easier to understand in
   one version than the other.

I've disassembled quite a lot of software, on the order of 100K of
executable code.  I estimate that the amount of work needed to produce
a compilable source of an executable is approximately equal to the
amount of work required to write it in the first place.  If I were
producing a Macintosh clone, I would have two sets of people working
on it, one disassembling the existing code, and another rewriting it
from scratch.  The two teams would communicate only by a third party,
and a lab notebook would be kept of all communications.  Further, I
wouldn't bother to try to save space as the original Mac team did.
Better to reduce your profit with an extra ROM and get the clone out
the door.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
A person who seeks peace using weapons will never find it.  [Thanks, Clayton.]