[comp.sys.mac] New virus? No.

wade@sdacs.ucsd.EDU (Wade Blomgren) (06/16/89)

In article <2278@ur-cc.UUCP>, jap2_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Joseph Poutre) writes:
> I may have run into a new virus.  When running Interferon 3.1 on our
> harddrive and asking it to report anomalies it detected a type 003
> anomaly, the Sneak virus, in the Finder and the DA Handler.  While it did

Interferon 3.1 has known bugs.  In particular, it reports so called
"anomalies" with the wrong "number".  A "Type 103 (003 ?) Anomaly"
is not really a detection of Sneak.  The key is the word "anomaly" -
note that it is used in conjunction with result numbers 201-205 in the
on line documentation.  What you have "run into" is a misreported
type 203 anomaly, namely "CODE resource in non-APPL file".  The Finder,
DA-Handler, and a number of other programs contain legitimate CODE
resources.  No virus.

For your future scanning and disinfecting needs, my recommendation is
that you obtain a copy of Disinfectant 1.1 by John Norstad.  It is far
more robust and complete than Interferon 3.1, and is available for
free from a variety of sources.

Wade Blomgren
wade@sdacs.ucsd.edu