[comp.sys.mac] What is SadMac 030008?

jyang@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Joel Yang) (06/16/89)

I saved a posting some time ago that explained Sad Mac codes.  Unfortunately,
I seem to have lost it now that I need to know what is wrong with my Mac Plus.

If no floppy is present it displays a Sad Mac and 030008 after the memory test.
Curiously enough, if there is a floppy present upon startup, it will get as far
as "Welcome to Macintosh" before displaying Bomb id=10 (occasionally it's id=26
or id=30).  A hard drive is normally used with the machine but symptoms are the
same with it attached or not.  Mac's a year old, and recently upgraded to 2.5M.

I've never heard of such peculiar behavior, and wonder if it may be faulty RAM
that is the matter (in which case I may be able to take care of it myself) or
if it something more serious.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone with
relevant information or suggestions.

Joel Yang
<jyang@ernie.berkeley.edu>

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (06/16/89)

In article <14698@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, jyang@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Joel Yang) writes:
> I saved a posting some time ago that explained Sad Mac codes.  Unfortunately,
> I seem to have lost it now that I need to know what is wrong with my Mac Plus.
> If no floppy is present it displays a Sad Mac and 030008 after the memory test

According to July's issue of MacWorld, Sad Mac codes 02, 03, 04, and 05 indicate
a RAM problem.  01 indicates a ROM problem, and 0F indicates a software-related
problem.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu