[comp.sys.mac] Possible bug in DA Menuz .9978

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (06/15/89)

After I upgraded a disk form .9967 to .9978, I noticed that, in the Control
Panel window, the names/descriptions of the boolean switches (OK, I'm just
getting into programming tha Mac, & I never picked up the names of all of
the selection switches, etc.) do not show up.  Clicking where the names
should be works as it should, toggling the option, as does clicking in the
box itself.  Further, all of the options seem to do what they said in the
earlise version; the text is just missing.

Hold on a min while I take a quick look at the files w/ ResEdit...
(Argh, this emulator is f*ck*d!!!!!!)
Hmmm, they do show up in the DITL.  But not in the CP.

Anyway, that disk is running sys 4.2, with Facade, Boomerang, SFVolINIT,
Vaccine, NoICON, Backdrop, Jclock, Rebound, Virus Warning.  (This is not my
disk, but I do have use of it...).  When I try it under sys 6.02 with a
large number of INITs, .....  .......   .....  it works as it should.

So the problem is only on the + running 4.2, not on a SE running 6.02.

Unfortunately, the + has no hard drive, and although the fonts, da's and
applications are on a remote drive, one certain application has to remain
on the ffloppy, and 6.02 won't fit w/ it.  Oh well.

(I wonder what's worse, Coporate Policy at "non-profit" educational
institutions or Corporate Policy at real businesses that admit profit is
the bottom line??? ;)

And now, before this "emulator" drives me thru a wall--and the ensuing
ground--I better leave.  Although I should make all of c.s.m's day and
mention that this "emulator" is running on some other, unnamed, companies
equipment ;-)

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.          "Entropy isn't what it used to be."
jhc@Crnlvax5.BITNET            --c/o Fortune @ batcomputer.UUCP

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (06/17/89)

In article <8195@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
>After I upgraded a disk form .9967 to .9978, I noticed that, in the Control
>Panel window, the names/descriptions of the boolean switches (OK, I'm just
>getting into programming tha Mac, & I never picked up the names of all of
>the selection switches, etc.) do not show up.  Clicking where the names

>Anyway, that disk is running sys 4.2, with Facade, Boomerang, SFVolINIT,

	The problem is a bug in pre-6.0 versions of the Control Panel; a
workaround was in earlier versions of hierDA/DAMenuz, but jbx took it out
to save some space.

		--Rich

 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

 I classify myself as a real developer because my desk is hip-deep in
 assembly-language listings and I spend more than 50% of my time in TMON.