[comp.sys.mac] Virtual Memory and hard disk life

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (05/31/89)

It seems to me that if you used Virtual Memory as your "standard, everyday
setup," it would involve INSTENSE, CONTINUOUS hard disk accessing, in contrast
to the occasional "chirp" of the drive we now experience.

Given that the more frequently something operates, the sooner it breaks,I'm
wondering if the upcoming virtual memory enhancement would significantly
reduce hard disk longevity.

I'm also wondering how such longevity is related to the amount of accessing.
In other words, if accessing increases 100%, does the wear rate increase
100% as well? If so, a 100% increase in accessing would reduce the life of
the hard disk by HALF, and I'm certain that many virtual memory setups will
increase accessing far in excess of 100%.

Ron

 =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

cgw@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gray Watson) (06/02/89)

In article <13548@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP writes:
>It seems to me that if you used Virtual Memory as your "standard, everyday
>setup," it would involve INSTENSE, CONTINUOUS hard disk accessing, in contrast
>to the occasional "chirp" of the drive we now experience.
>
>Given that the more frequently something operates, the sooner it breaks,I'm
>wondering if the upcoming virtual memory enhancement would significantly
>reduce hard disk longevity.
>Ron Morgan    {ames, utah-cs, uunet, gatech}!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!osmigo

I guess the question here is: what part of the hard-drive usually fails first
due to longevity or use over a long period of time??

As far as I know, most of the hard disk failures, I've heard of, have been
bering and drive-motor problems.  If this was indeed the case then intensive
use by virtual memory drivers, which don't increase usage of these parts, would
NOT decrease the HD's life expectancy.

On the other hand if most of the failures come from the head or any other part
that will be affected by increased io then this would be a problem.

gray

flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) (06/02/89)

In article <2872@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> cgw@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu (Gray Watson) writes:
             [ question about hard drive failure deleted ]
>>Ron Morgan    {ames, utah-cs, uunet, gatech}!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!osmigo
>
>I guess the question here is: what part of the hard-drive usually fails first
>due to longevity or use over a long period of time??
>
>As far as I know, most of the hard disk failures, I've heard of, have been
>bering and drive-motor problems.  If this was indeed the case then intensive
>use by virtual memory drivers, which don't increase usage of these parts, would
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           [ some more stuff deleted ]
>gray

What?! How can this be true? Virtual memory has to constantly switch pages in
and out of memory.In order to accoplish this the motor has to be on!  This means
more wear and tear on the motor and bearings.

Scott Flatman
INTERNET: flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu
UUCP: hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!ladder.cs.orst.edu!flatmas
---------------------------------GO BULLS!

In article <10954@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> flatmas@ladder.CS.ORST.EDU
(Scott Timothy Flatman) writes:
  [ Gray Watson notes that virtual memory drivers don't increase bearing
    and drive-motor wear ]

>What?! How can this be true? Virtual memory has to constantly switch pages in
>and out of memory.In order to accoplish this the motor has to be on!  This means
>more wear and tear on the motor and bearings.

  The motor on a hard drive is always running (unlike a floppy drive).
The only increased wear, as far as I can see, would be to the stepper
motor and related parts (which move the head back and forth).

+---------------------------+------------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | "VMS Forever!"         |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |
+---------------------------+------------------------+

ags@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (06/03/89)

In article <10954@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> flatmas@ladder.CS.ORST.EDU (Scott Timothy Flatman) writes:
>Virtual memory has to constantly switch pages in and out of memory.

Not true, as any NeXT user can testify.  When there is page swapping going on
on my NeXT, I can hear the disk activity.  Right now, as I type this, there is
only the motor hum.  That means that the disk is rotating, as always, but there
are no reads or writes.  That's not surprising, because I have no
memory-intensive background processes (such as Mathematica) running now, and it
does not take 8 megabytes to run a terminal window.

Depending on your usage patterns, virtual memory may lead to less disk usage,
rather than more.  If I am running Mathematica on my NeXT and I want to do
something else, there is a brief clatter of disk activity as Mathematica is
swapped out to make room for another process.  When I go back to Mathematica,
there is another brief clatter as pages are swapped back in.  The total amount
of disk activity in swapping Mathematica out and back in again is far less
than what it would take to re-launch Mathematica from scratch and fire up the
kernel again.  By contrast, that is exactly what I have to do when I run
Mathematica on my Mac II, using a 4 Mb Multifinder partition on a 5 Mb
machine.  There is hardly anything other than the finder that is small enough
to run while Mathematica is active, so I have to kill it and re-launch it
whenever I need to do something else.  This causes a lot of unnecessary
activity on my Mac disk.

amanda@intercon.UUCP (06/03/89)

In article <10954@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, flatmas@ladder.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) writes:
> What?! How can this be true? Virtual memory has to constantly switch pages in
> and out of memory.In order to accoplish this the motor has to be on!  This means
> more wear and tear on the motor and bearings.

The motor's on whenever the power is on.  That's what makes the cute little
whirring sound...

The only piece of the drive that would get any more wear would be the head
stepper motor, and I've never heard of one of them failing.  In my experience,
anyway, hard disk failures seem to come in a few major flavors:
media failure, main power supply failure, and controller failure.  I can't
think of any reason that paging would make any noticeable difference on
any of these.

--
Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.UUCP>
InterCon Systems Corporation

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (06/14/89)

In article <13548@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP writes:
>It seems to me that if you used Virtual Memory as your "standard, everyday
>setup," it would involve INSTENSE, CONTINUOUS hard disk accessing, in contrast
>to the occasional "chirp" of the drive we now experience.

No, it only involves disk accessing when you want to read or write something
and it's not in memory.  That means a "page fault".  With enough memory, or a
program that doesn't really use all the memory it has allocated, you just
don't page fault that often.

In a non-virtual system, you MUST have everything in memory at all times
(unless there's some other form of swapping to disk), so if you need just
a little more, BANG you're dead.  Virtual allows you to organize your
program in the simplest way without having to deal with such messy issues
except in the general sense of trying not to use memory too wastefully.
And if you overstep the limit, it degrades relatively gracefully - it runs
slower, but it still runs.

Virtual memory is like growing old - it doesn't seem so bad when I consider
the alternatives ...

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@sun.com

kff@kesmai.COM (Kelton Flinn) (06/17/89)

In article <109873@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) writes:
> In article <13548@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP writes:
> >It seems to me that if you used Virtual Memory as your "standard, everyday
> >setup," it would involve INSTENSE, CONTINUOUS hard disk accessing, in contrast
> >to the occasional "chirp" of the drive we now experience.
>
> No, it only involves disk accessing when you want to read or write something
> and it's not in memory.  That means a "page fault".  With enough memory, or a
> program that doesn't really use all the memory it has allocated, you just
> don't page fault that often.

   Actually, this same thought first occurred to me as I listened to the
disk drive rumbling, when I switched from MPW to Versaterm for the
first time. Unlike our MicroVax, the Mac does seem to thrash a LOT when
you switch from one large task to another. I have 2 Mb of memory, about
enough to hold 1 1/2 applications. Obviously having Virtual is better than
not being able to run SADE and MPW at the same time at all! But it does
grind more than I had hoped...
    Kelton
P.S. A warning: Never run MS Word under Virtual under the Finder. It
seems to want to initialize all 8 Mb of memory, and then checks
it periodically. It took me 15 minutes just to get out! Beleive them
when they say use MultiFinder.