[comp.sys.mac] Mac sound digitizers

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (06/18/89)

I asked this once last year...perhaps things have improved by now.  Does anyone
know of a MacII card or other black box (scsi?) usable with a Mac that can
do sound digitization at CD rates?  I'm thinking of about 40-50khz sample rate
with 14-16 bit samples.  I need a board that both SAMPLES and PLAYS BACK at
that resolution (ie: has both D-A and A-D).

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on the best of the low-cost 8 bit digitizers
on the market, I would like to hear them.

Thanks!

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

boone@oce.orst.edu (Jeff Boone) (06/19/89)

In article <1450@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>I asked this once last year...perhaps things have improved by now.  Does anyone
>know of a MacII card or other black box (scsi?) usable with a Mac that can
>do sound digitization at CD rates?  I'm thinking of about 40-50khz sample rate
>with 14-16 bit samples.  I need a board that both SAMPLES and PLAYS BACK at
>that resolution (ie: has both D-A and A-D).

  I am assuming when you sat "CD rates" you also mean stereo.  If so,
  Digidesign has a plug in card that allows 16-bit 44.1kHz stereo sound
  playback called the Sound Accelerator, and a box which connects to the
  card that allows the same quality sampling called the AD IN.  They also
  have one of (if not THE) best audio editing software packages called
  Sound Designer II.

  This stuff is not cheap though; the package described above carries
  a list price of $3285.  The Sound Accelerator separately is $1295, the
  AD IN $995, and Sound Designer II is also $995.

  Digidesign
  1360 Willow Road, Suite 101
  Menlo Park, CA  94025
  (415) 327-8811

I have no connection with Digidesign (except for the fact that I have been
BLOWN AWAY by a couple of their demos).

Jeff Boone
boone@oce.orst.edu
College of Oceanography, Oregon State University