[comp.sys.mac] color terminal emulator wanted

david@varian.UUCP (David Brown) (06/14/89)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good terminal emulator that
will display color text on a Mac II?  It must be fairly easy to
program, so that a terminfo description could be written for it
- something that changes colors with ANSI sequences (like many
PCDOS terminal emulators) would be ideal.

We've looked at Mac241 from White Pines Software, and both it and
real DEC terminals (we have a vt340, which I haven't been able to
make use of either) will only change colors with complicated Regis
graphics commands (actually the vt340 also has color commands in
its Sixel mode, but that is also graphics) - I haven't been able
to figure out a way to write a terminfo description.

The ability to specify colors via curses and terminfo is something
relatively new - I've only seen it in UNIX System V r3.1 and r3.2 for
the 386, and sVr3.2 for the ATT 3b2.

Any pointers to recommended terminal emulators (or any assistance
on writing a terminfo description for the vt241/vt340) would be
much appreciated.

thanks

--
David Brown	 415-649-4000
Orion Network Systems 1995 University Ave. Suite 350 Berkeley CA 94704

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/19/89)

In article <710@varian.UUCP>, david@varian.UUCP (David Brown) writes:
> Does anyone have any suggestions for a good terminal emulator that
> will display color text on a Mac II?  It must be fairly easy to
> program, so that a terminfo description could be written for it
> - something that changes colors with ANSI sequences (like many
> PCDOS terminal emulators) would be ideal.

	Both ZTerm .8 and MicroPhone II v3.0 (due to ship this month) both
support the standard ANSI color sequences (ZTerm also offers the IBM Character
set as well).  Neither product, however, offer support for a 'terminfo' setup
as that sort of thing is far from 'mac-like'.
	On the other hand their is a program from Mainstay software called
Telescape which allows you to create 'termcap/terminfo' setups for any type
of text-based terminal you want BUT is out of date and therefore knows NOTHING
about color.
	Hope this helps...

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025