[comp.sys.mac] Arabic word processor needed

sivonen@kreeta.cs.Helsinki.FI (Timo Sivonen) (06/12/89)

Is there any word processor and/or desktop publishing package for
Macintosh which could handle both English and Arabic text? PostScript
fonts should be included.

--------
Timo Sivonen                    EUnet:  sivonen@kreeta.cs.Helsinki.FI
                                        tsivonen@cc.Helsinki.FI
                                DECNET: HYLK::TSIVONEN

sklein@cdp.UUCP (06/14/89)

There is an Arabic word-processor for the Mac called Al-Kaatib.  Or at
least there used to be.  You could also get HaKotav, a Hebrew word-
processor, and use it with Arabic Fonts.  Not the best solution, but...
 -shabtai

Michael.Burton@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Burton) (06/15/89)

> Is there any word processor and/or desktop publishing package for
> Macintosh which could handle both English and Arabic text? PostScript
> fonts should be included.

   There is an Arabic word processor named Alkaatib, but I believe it is
Arabic only.
   I've seen references to foreign language versions of Microsoft Word.
Contact Microsoft for details.  I don't know whether that program would be
able to do English-language word-processing as well as Arabic.
   You will almost certainly have to buy your Postscript Arabic fonts
separately.  I don't know of any existing Postscript Arabic fonts--you may
have to create your own using a program like Fontographer.

--
Michael Burton via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Michael.Burton

felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) (06/16/89)

In article <14784.249746CA@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>, Michael.Burton@f200 (Michael Burton) writes:
>> Is there any word processor and/or desktop publishing package for
>> Macintosh which could handle both English and Arabic text? PostScript
>> fonts should be included.

There is a small company in France which is making lot of Arabic Software.

Their name is WinSoft and their address is:

WINSOFT
34, Boulevard de l'Esplanade
38000 GRENOBLE
FRANCE
Phone: 33 76 87 56 01
Telex 320 546 F

As far as I remember, they have a text processor (WinText), an
organizer WinIdea(like More), a Database manager (WinFile), and other
stuff...

As far as I know, they do not have any American distributor, I think
they were looking for one,

All their softs work both in standard langage (english, french, etc)
*and* in Arab. It is actually very funny to see this fancy characters
from left to right on your screen.

Last time I was in France, I visited them, and I was fairly impressed
by their softs.

I have no connection with these people, except that most of them are
my friends... If you call them, say hello from Felix (you might even
get a discount...)
Francois Felix INGRAND                          SRI International, AIC
felix@AI.SRI.COM                                333, Ravenswood Avenue
felix%AI.SRI.COM@UUNET.UU.NET                   MENLO PARK, CA 94025, USA
"Pourquoi tant de haine..." (Edika)      "Read my Lisp... No new syntax" (nil)

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/19/89)

In article <141200047@cdp>, sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:

> There is an Arabic word-processor for the Mac called Al-Kaatib.  Or at
> least there used to be.  You could also get HaKotav, a Hebrew word-
> processor, and use it with Arabic Fonts.  Not the best solution, but...
>  -shabtai

The other option(s) are to acquire a copy of the Arabic Interface System
( a localized version of Apple's System/Finder with support for Arabic text
processing (ie. fonts, r->l text, auto ligitures, etc.)) and a Script Manager
 compatible word processor (the script Manager is the low level routines in
the Mac which allow for foreign languages).
I am aware of two Script Manager compatible word processor which are availible
at the time of writing this. They are RavKtav/AllText and WinText.  Both can
be had in the U.S. (though ONLY FROM ONE DISTRIBUTOR) and are VERY EXPENSIVE
, quite underpowered, and have user interfaces which should be shot. Other
than that the work just fine :-)

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025