[comp.sys.mac] CD-ROM weirdness

jlh@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (06/17/89)

I got the new ROM and INIT for my DaynaFile today, performed some surgery, and
restarted by Mac II. Lo and behold, everything, even that CD-ROM player,
worked.

Two complaints now:

1. Why didn't Dayna send a mailing to it's registered owners telling them
about this KNOWN problem and offering an upgrade to those who needed it? I
spent most of a sleepless night trying to figure out what device was causing
my problem.

2. The CD Explorer disc that Apple shipped with the drive is bad. It crashes
and hangs the SCSI bus in strange ways. I had no trouble with Phil &
Dave's Excellent CD (the developer CD), and I tested both the Mac OS stuff and
the audio-only stuff. So, Apple - what's wrong with your demonstration disc?

Y'know, I'm beginning to think this CD-ROM player is more trouble than it
was worth...

Jan Harrington
Scholastech Telecommunications
husc6!stech!jlh or allegra!stech!jlh

	Miscellaneous profundidity:
		"No matter where you go, there you are..."
			Buckaroo Banzai

dxjsb@dcatla.UUCP (Jack S. Brindle) (06/19/89)

jlh@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
> 2. The CD Explorer disc that Apple shipped with the drive is bad. It crashes
> and hangs the SCSI bus in strange ways. I had no trouble with Phil &
> Dave's Excellent CD (the developer CD), and I tested both the Mac OS stuff and
> the audio-only stuff. So, Apple - what's wrong with your demonstration disc?

Gee, mine plays just fine. So does everyone else's that I have spoken with.
With the conglomeration of inits and other stuff (that is the only way Dayna's
code can be described) I wonder if maybe you are still having interference
problems? But in any case, don't accuse Apple of shipping bad disks when 99.999%
of their disks are right, and you can't absolutely assure the problem is theirs!

On the other hand, I have come across a rather interesting problem with ResEdit
and the CD-ROM. While playing an audio CD, invoke ResEdit V1.2 (the release
version). If you have ResEdit set to display locked disk warnings, you will get
an alert telling you the CD is locked. Click OK. Next reach for the reset switch
to get your Mac useful again. Mine (a plus with 2.5 megs of Ram) drops into
MacsBug, but locks up before MacsBug can draw much of its info. It is possible
that I too have too many inits hanging around, but I wonder if others have
seen this problem. The cure is quite simple. Simply tell ResEdit not to
display locked disk warnings. That sure made me happy. Especially since I was
listening to the Doobie Brothers new album at the time. Sounds great!

Just wish CD-Roms were as cheap as audio CDs.

Jack B.