[comp.sys.mac] Help! My Mac II won't shutdown

igor@cheshire.cs.wisc.edu (Igor Steinberg) (06/04/89)

My Mac II won't shutdown.  When the machine is plugged in
it automatically starts.  It will do this even if the keyboard
and mouse are not connected.

When attempt to shutdown, it simply restarts itself.  Does anybody
know what's wrong?

----------
Igor Steinberg
igor@cs.wisc.edu
seismo!cs.wisc.edu!igor

paul@steven.COM (paul) (06/16/89)

In article <7624@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, igor@cheshire.cs.wisc.edu (Igor Steinberg) writes:

> My Mac II won't shutdown.  When the machine is plugged in
> it automatically starts.  It will do this even if the keyboard
> and mouse are not connected.
>
> When attempt to shutdown, it simply restarts itself.  Does anybody
> know what's wrong?

Maybe your computer is posessed.  Have you tried exorcism?

Seriously, something to do with the on/off switch may got stuck in
the on position inside the computer.  Have you tried removing the
PRAM battery or resetting the PRAM.  This probably won't fix it, but
it doesn't cost anything to try.

martin@m2.csc.ti.com (Steven Martin) (06/18/89)

I read somewhere about a Mac that had that exact problem.  It turned
out that a Kensington Turbo Mouse had in short circuit (caused by
humidity!) that sent the startup signal across the ADB.  Try
disconnecting your mouse and keyboard and see if one of them is
causing it.

Steve Martin            USENET: {ctvax,im4u,texsun,rice}!ti-csl!martin
                        ARPANET: SMARTIN@CSC.TI.COM  COMPUSERVE: 72727,1471
                        GENIE: S.MARTIN8    PHONE: (214)-995-0387, 404-1061
I'll have four whole fried chickens and a Coke. -Jake Blues

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (06/19/89)

Actually, it costs something to remove & replace the battery, since it
is soldered in place.  So I wouldn't try this, except as a last resort.

felleman@cg-atla.UUCP (John Felleman) (06/20/89)

In article <7624@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, igor@cheshire.cs.wisc.edu (Igor Steinberg) writes:

> My Mac II won't shutdown.  When the machine is plugged in
> it automatically starts.  It will do this even if the keyboard
> and mouse are not connected.
>
> When attempt to shutdown, it simply restarts itself.  Does anybody
> know what's wrong?

On Page 92 of my Macintosh IIcx Owner's Guide, Appendix A, there is an
explanation of a technique for locking the power switch on.  It sounds
like that has been done (perhaps accidentally) to yours.  Luckily, page
93 explains how to unlock it.
--
John Felleman  (508)-658-5600 X7034
AGFA Compugraphic	    ...!{ima,ulowell,ism780c}!cg-atla!felleman