[comp.sys.mac] Jasmine Blues - Cont'd

pff@thumper.bellcore.com (Peter Ferris) (06/13/89)

This morning, another user came to me with YABJ (Yet Another Broken Jasmine)
hard drive - different model this time.  I have managed to contact the
Assistant to the Presdient of Jasmine Technologies.  She was "kind and
understanding", but frankly useless.  To quote herself: "I'm technically
illiterate. I have to believe what others here tell me..."
(Read: "Since this is a technical problem, there's nothing I can do you").
While her honsty is appreciated, her effectiveness in this case is
questionable.

The gist of the deal remains the same - Jasmine maintains that it will take
them approximately  3-4 weeks to get me a loaner drive (against my Amex card),
and an undetermined amount of time to replace / repair the damaged drives.

To rub more salt in the wounds, here's a tidbit from the June, 1989 issue of
"Macworld", p.15:

----

INDUSTRY NOTES
Hard-Driving lawsuits:
Disk drive moker Jasmine Technologies has sued one current and several former
Jasmine executives and Rodime, Inc., charging that they conspired to lower the
price of Josmine stock to set the company up for a takeover. Jasmine, already
embroiled in other lawsuits, claimed to have firm and compelling evidence of a
conspiracy.

----

Rumor has it that "other lawsuits" includes one against Jasmine for KNOWINGLY
selling defective media (drives). Can anyone verify this?  Does anyone know
the disposition of any of these suits?

Regards,
Pete Ferris

e-mail to:
Internet: pff@thumper.bellcore.com
AppleLink: N1009
GEnie: P.FERRIS

bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mike Bell) (06/14/89)

  Join the club !!!   I have had nothing but trouble with Jasmine 140 drives.
First of all, try running a Jasmine 140 and an Apple CD rom drive together
(external 140). The first time you reboot your system after attaching the
drives, the Jasmine wipes itself out; every time, without fail !  I documented
this and sent it to Jasmine in January; they said they "would look into it".
Needless to say, I have not heard from them.
 Also, all three of my drives have self destructed. First, the access light
begins to flash at various times in a 1-2-1 repeating pattern. Then after
about a week of this, the drive starts to shut itself down and park the head
while it is reading or writing a file ! One of the drives that I returned
to Jasmine failed a second time. The down time on these drives has cost me far
more that the money that we saved by buying Jasmine drives instead of Supermac
drives. While I certainly DONT speak for DuPont, I personally have decided to
discontinue all purchases from Jasmine. I have gotten too many promises from
their tech support people that have never panned out.

				Mike Bell
				bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

Mike Bell                                     CSnet: BELLMA%ERVX01@dupont.com
Senior Engineer                               Applelink: D2747
DuPont Electronic Imaging
Core Technology Group

            Can YOUR mac play FOOTBALL ????

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (06/15/89)

In article <1599@thumper.bellcore.com> pff@thumper.bellcore.com (Peter Ferris) writes:

>This morning, another user came to me with YABJ (Yet Another Broken Jasmine)
>hard drive - different model this time.  I have managed to contact the

I began having difficulty with my (personal)  Jasmine InnerDrive90 in
March of this year.  After talking with their one of their tech support
people, it was determined that I had to send it to them for repair.  It
came back fixed 5 days later (FedEx, at mt request, I paid the difference).
We also have a number of Jasmine units here at work which have not had any
trouble.

Contrary to many of the postings here, my experiences with Jasmine Tech
Support and Sales have been very positive.  I wonder if the negative postings
here are just a case of squeeky wheeling. I will conceed, however, that it is
sometimes difficult to get through to them.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

pff@thumper.bellcore.com (Peter Ferris) (06/20/89)

In article <> mnkonar@gorby.UUCP (Murat N. Konar) writes:
>In article <1599@thumper.bellcore.com> pff@thumper.bellcore.com (Peter Ferris) writes:
>>
>>This morning, another user came to me with YABJ (Yet Another Broken Jasmine)
>>hard drive - different model this time.  I have managed to contact the
>
>I began having difficulty with my (personal)  Jasmine InnerDrive90 in
>March of this year.  After talking with their one of their tech support
>people, it was determined that I had to send it to them for repair.  It
>came back fixed 5 days later (FedEx, at mt request, I paid the difference).
>We also have a number of Jasmine units here at work which have not had any
>trouble.
>
>Contrary to many of the postings here, my experiences with Jasmine Tech
>Support and Sales have been very positive.  I wonder if the negative postings
>here are just a case of squeeky wheeling. I will conceed, however, that it is
>sometimes difficult to get through to them.

I dunno, I think I was entitled to some wheel squeaking after patiently (well,
not THAT patiently, but...) waiting for over a week and a half for a human
being to return my calls (over 2 dozen).  When you have two clients, with two
identicle drives fail, drives are only five digits apart in serial number,
your wheels will squeak too :-).  Jasmine knew of no specific problems with the
140's (InnerDrives), but at the same time said that they've had alot of returns
"on those". I guess people just get "tired" of their Inner 140's huh?!
Anyhow, it didn't quite fit my expectation of customer service, so I thought
they deserved a little cage rattling.

Just one man's perspective, I guess.  Glad your experiences with Jasmine have
been "very positive".  Mine have not.  It's unfortunate that one should need
customer service / tech support on a "good" product, but if and when you do,
it's nice to have someone (live!) answer the phone. It took me exactly two
weeks to get to speak to someone / something that could even begin to help
(not a answering machine, not a 'Customer Service Operator').  I'm kinda
glad I "squeaked" in this case... otherwise I shudder to think how long it
might've taken.  As it was, the first person I talked to was the Assistent to
the President, not (sigh!) a tech support person.

Regards,
Pete Ferris
Bell Communications Research
pff@thumper.bellcore.com