[comp.sys.mac] CD-ROM woes

gmw1@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gabe M Wiener) (06/15/89)

Hello people.  I'm having a weird problem with an NEC Intersect CDR-77 CD-ROM
reader.  The system includes the drive itself, the appropriate SCSI cables
and terminator, and the driver software that installs as an init.  After the
init loads, any disc put into the drive should appear on the desktop as a
regular volume.

Well, I set it all up and put the CD into the machine and I got a message
"Please unlock the disk...  The desktop file could not be created."  If that
isn't bad enough, when I boot from a floppy instead of from my hard drive,
the disc mounts without a hitch.

Of course, I tried the pro forma troubleshooting techniques; taking all the
inits out of my system folder, changing SCSI ID codes, changing the order
of the peripherals in the SCSI chain, etc.  I also tried replacing the system
and finder on my hard drive with the ones from the floppy and I still get that
maddening message.

This one has even the NEC people stumped.  Any suggestions?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-\******/=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Gabe Wiener -- Columbia University   \****/ "It doesn't matter how sincere it
				      \**/   is, nor how heart-felt the spirit.
INTERNET: gmw1@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu  \/    Sentiment will not endear it.
BITNET:   gmw1@cunixc                  /\    What's important is the price."
COMPUSERVE: 72355,1226                /**\   		- Tom Lehrer
WUI: 650-117-9118                    /****\                  on gift giving
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-/******\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

LaserMan@cup.portal.com (Bob LaserMan Murrow) (06/16/89)

The message, unlock this disk, on a CDROM likely means you are running
Appleshare of the DeskTop Manager. I have seen the same in particular
with the desktop Manager and Apples CDPlayer. The Manual warns you of this
subtley at best. I am a little pissed as I have a LARGE HD and the CD palyer
can not be used with Desktop manager installed...argh.
Bob

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (06/20/89)

In article <19489@cup.portal.com> LaserMan@cup.portal.com (Bob LaserMan Murrow) writes:
>The message, unlock this disk, on a CDROM likely means you are running
>Appleshare of the DeskTop Manager. I have seen the same in particular
>with the desktop Manager and Apples CDPlayer. The Manual warns you of this
>subtley at best. I am a little pissed as I have a LARGE HD and the CD palyer
>can not be used with Desktop manager installed...argh.

Hmmmm.... I've been using the Desktop manager for over a year now (make sure
to get the latest one that came with AppleShare 2.01) and the CD-ROM for about
a month, and have never had a complaint with any of the CD's I've used, that it
can't create a Desktop file. I wouldn't think it would be just the Desktop
manager because it doesn't complain about locked floppies (I believe it checks
on the type of media being mounted before deciding what it need to create its
own files on). Anyone from Apple who can expand on this more?

I'd try checking some other INITs and such.
Brian Bezanson						 bezanson@adobe.com

phil@vaxphw.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (06/20/89)

In article <922@adobe.UUCP>, bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) writes...
}
}Hmmmm.... I've been using the Desktop manager for over a year now (make sure
}to get the latest one that came with AppleShare 2.01) and the CD-ROM for about
}a month, and have never had a complaint with any of the CD's I've used, that it
}can't create a Desktop file. I wouldn't think it would be just the Desktop
}manager because it doesn't complain about locked floppies (I believe it checks
}on the type of media being mounted before deciding what it need to create its
}own files on). Anyone from Apple who can expand on this more?
}

I had the same problem when I first installed the CDROM drive..  It was one
of the APPLE inits that got marked not to be loaded (using AASK)...So the
system was confused by the drive.......I don't remember which one caused
the problem....

Phil Hunt                      "Wherever you go, there you are!!!"
Digital Equipment Corporation                 Phone: (508)486-2164
ENET:        VAXPHW::PHIL
USENET:      phil@vaxphw.dec.com
MOREUSENET:  phil%vaxphw.dec@decwrl.dec.com
EVENMORE:    ....!decwrl!dec-vaxphw!phil