[comp.sys.mac] Hard disk locking utilities

pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (David B. Pakman) (06/19/89)

I am setting up an SE/30 lab utilizing AppleShare.  The SE/30's
are equipped with 40MB internal HD's and I am experimenting
with using them exclusively  as start-up disks and then preventing
their use by the user.

To do this, I am attempting to evaluate as many hard disk locking
utilities as possible.  So far, I have come across Guard Dog 1.0,
which is of little use to me, since it is both easily defeatable
and not exactly "locking" or preventing hard disk usage.  I have
heard that Guard Dog 2.0 will include a password utility (truth??).

In addition, I have LockOUT DA v1.2 which locks up the entire machine
with a password.  Again, rumor has it that Lockout 2.0 will do just
what I need.

If anyone has heard of any other utilities to prevent hard disk usage,
particularly in a lab environment, PLEASE reply to me and I will
happily summarize to the net.

In addition, can anyone confirm my speculation on the two aforementioned
improved versions?  I have tried to contact "Beyond", the makers of
LockOUT, but their phone number in the "about" box is no longer valid.

Thanks, in advance, for any and all help!

-David Pakman
Apple Student Rep
ARPA: pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu
AppleLink: ST0338

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (06/20/89)

In article <12172@netnews.upenn.edu> pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (David B. Pakman) writes:
>I am setting up an SE/30 lab utilizing AppleShare.  The SE/30's
>are equipped with 40MB internal HD's and I am experimenting
>with using them exclusively  as start-up disks and then preventing
>their use by the user.

The hard disk software SilverLining from LaCie will put passwords on
disks and can make them read-only.  The problem with this is that Macs
don't work very well with write locked system volumes.  (Some programs
simply won't run.)

Maybe you should instead use ResEdit (warning: dangerious program if
you don't know what you are doing) and make the system folder
invisible.  You will still have to go around regularly and remove
other stuff which will accumulate and also replace the system folder
now and then, but the users will get a much nicer machine to use.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
...!husc6!lloyd!kent