[comp.sys.mac] SE Upgrade quandrary -- Getting ready for System 7

elliott@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jim Elliott) (06/20/89)

I'm in a tizzy right now, trying to decide what my next step should
be, in getting my system to run the sexy new MacOS variations that
will be coming out in the next few years.

In order to support virtual memory I am going to need more memory, and
an upgraded logic board. I can't afford to get both right now, so I am
trying to decide which to do first. (I presently have a vanilla SE
with 1 meg of RAM.)

It seems to me that I would get the greatest immediate increase in
functionality by buying more memory--for one thing, I could then use
Think C's symbolic debugger, which will really help me learn my way
around the Mac development maze. However, I do not want to do this
if I will have to throw away the RAM when I >do< upgrade the logic
board. Apple seems slightly hostile about RAM--from what I understand,
if I upgrade to 2 meg, I'll have to throw away the 1 meg SIMMs when I
later go up to 4--no trade-in value? So, I am worried that something
similar might happen if I upgrade the logic board after adding memory.
Anyone know? And do I get to keep my (albeit small) internal hard disk?
-----
Jim Elliott				     "A more subtly incorrect theory"
elliott@netserv2.its.rpi.edu

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Philip Wong) (06/21/89)

I also have a SE w/ std 1 mb and am wondering if it will be worth it to upgrade
to SE/30.  I am planning to get the superdrive upgrade sometime, but is it
really worth getting the /30 motherboard?  I have read about so many troubles
and incompatibilities that I think I would rather have my slow se with great
compatibility.  Another idea I had was to buy a accelerator add on board.  This
way, if I want to run something at 68000 (like a game), I can.  And if I want
fast processing--turn on the board.
I also have a question about RAM.  The SE has 4 spaces for Ram chips.  It is
currently filled with 4 256K ram chips.  So, in order to go up to 2mb, I need
to buy 2 1mb Ram chips and throw away the 4 256k chips right?  Is there any
way I can keep the 4 chips and maybe add extra megabytes onto like the se
add on board.  Is this the same deal if I get an upgrade to 30?

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (06/21/89)

In article <1956@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Philip Wong) writes:
> I also have a SE w/ std 1 mb and am wondering if it will be worth it to upgrade
> to SE/30.  I am planning to get the superdrive upgrade sometime, but is it
> really worth getting the /30 motherboard?

The main advantage that I see with the 030 motherboard is the ability to
support virtual memory when the new System 7.0 comes out; the SE cannot do
this.  As for other third-party upgrade paths, I don't know if the same holds
true.

> I also have a question about RAM.  The SE has 4 spaces for Ram chips.  It is
> currently filled with 4 256K ram chips.  So, in order to go up to 2mb, I need
> to buy 2 1mb Ram chips and throw away the 4 256k chips right?  Is there any
> way I can keep the 4 chips and maybe add extra megabytes onto like the se
> add on board.  Is this the same deal if I get an upgrade to 30?

With the SE, you do have 4 slots.  You can put the 2 new 1MB SIMMs in the first
two slots, removing the first two 256K chips.  This gives you a 2.5MB machine.
Then you just have to figure out what to do with the other two.  I have seen
various people offer to purchase them for about $25 a piece.

As for an SE/30, it has 8 slots.  Memory has to be installed in sets of 4 SIMMs,
so you must purchase 4MB, which would expand you to 5MB, or you could buy
4 256K chips and expand to 2MB.  The second option limits you if you ever want
to add more memory, because you would have to remove the 4 256K chips that you
added and replace them with 1MB chips.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

rekieta@apple.com (Paul Rekieta) (06/21/89)

Wong) writes:
> The SE has 4 spaces for Ram chips.  It is
> currently filled with 4 256K ram chips.  So, in order to go up to 2mb, I
need
> to buy 2 1mb Ram chips and throw away the 4 256k chips right?

You only need to "throw away" 2 of the 256k SIMS. You would end up with
2.5 mb of ram.

Paul Rekieta
Communications Product Development
Apple Computer, Inc.