[comp.sys.mac] MacSE/30 HDFD Problem

rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) (06/05/89)

I received my MacSE/30 several weeks ago and, overall,
I have been quite pleased. I have however begun to see
what I think is a problem with the High Density Floppy
Drive. The drive appears to work fine when using single
or double density (400k and 800k) floppies. But when I
format a HD floppy, about 50% of the time, the floppy
that I formatted either:

	1) Loses a couple of files in copying to it.
	   ie. cant be written to.

	2) When reinserted into the drive at a later date,
	   the floppy cant be read.

I have tried Memorex, Sony, 3M and Polaroid diskettes,
all appear to have the same problem. I have also made sure
that the media is kept away from all Magnetic sources
(speakers, telephones, etc.), dust, dirt and liquids.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
Any and all help greatly appreciated. Post or mail,
I _do_ read this group regularly.
Randy Thompson                             uunet!smsdpg!rht
SMS Data Products Group, Inc.                   -  or  -
703/648-9400                                rht@smsdpg.UUCP

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (06/09/89)

<
<	1) Loses a couple of files in copying to it.
<	   ie. cant be written to.
<
<	2) When reinserted into the drive at a later date,
<	   the floppy cant be read.
<
<Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

I haven't tried the high density disks yet, but I think it's funny that
three of my new Kao diskettes have been tossed aside as bad when I never
had a problem with any diskette on any other Mac yet. While copying 8-10
files at a time, one of them would not copy (read error). I continued and
later could sometimes drag that one file to the diskette anyways. When
it would no longer copy that way, I tried to erase the disk. Initialization
fails. I keep meaning to bring the disks to work and format them on the
Mac II. I bet they're OK.

Shirley Kehr

amir@wayzata.tricord.MN.ORG (Amir Vafaei) (06/14/89)

In article <335@smsdpg.uu.net> rht@smsdpg.UUCP (Randy Thompson) writes:
>I received my MacSE/30 several weeks ago and, overall,
>I have been quite pleased. I have however begun to see
>what I think is a problem with the High Density Floppy
>Drive.
.............   Text deleted     .........
>Randy Thompson                             uunet!smsdpg!rht
>SMS Data Products Group, Inc.                   -  or  -
>703/648-9400                                rht@smsdpg.UUCP

I have had several problems with my HDFD also.  Most of the
problems I have seen have been related to formatting of the
floppy disks.  Out of 2 fresh boxes of disks that I tried to
format, I have been unable to format 6 of the disks.  3 of them
failed the first time, but after I reinserted the disk and initialized
it, it was "successful"...

---
- Amir Vafaei @ Tricord Systems
- ...{bungia | quest}!tricord!amir  / amir@tricord.MN.ORG

cwv90332@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/22/89)

	On a similar note, I have had more than a few such experiences
	with my IIcx.  It occurs mostly when formating 720K diskettes.
	I get the Initialization error 10x more frequently than I did
	on my SE.  I am using a whole bunch of different floppies
	(Sony, KOA, and others), the same types I have always used.

	Also I get far more disk is unreadable messages with my HDFD.
	My IIcx is about 6-weeks old and I had my SE for two years.

	I am wondering if the new drives are more sensitive to the
	quality of the media, are more subject to misalignment, or what?!?
	I have never had a problem with a floppy which has been mounted
	(e.g. disk writing or reading errors), just in formatting and
	mounting the disks.

	Anyone else have similar experiences.

	BTW congrats Apple on my IIcx couldn't be happier.

	Chris Velkover
	University of Illinois UC
 	cwv90332@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu