[comp.sys.mac] DA's WON'T WORK ... HELP ... HELP ...

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (06/17/89)

I hope someone has run into this ...

My DA's will not open after booting from the HD (sometimes).  This has
happened to 2 of the SE's in our department.  Most faculty here at this
college have not really gotten past the word processor or spreadsheet
yet.  I have asked the local dealer (no help yet).

Here's a strange item though ...

	If I open word or excel (perhaps others) and save something,
	then return to the finder after closing the application, the
	DA's operate normally.  If I reboot then I'm right back where I
	started.  I have tried replacing the finder to no avail.

	I don't know where or what to try next.

	Any ideas, anyone ????????????

	Please EMAIL (preferred) or post to this newsgroup.

Thank you for your time ... !!!

=-=-= Email: david@jc3b21.UUCP -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dave =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EOT

joej@oakhill.UUCP (Joe Jelemensky) (06/20/89)

In article <679@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
>I hope someone has run into this ...
>
>My DA's will not open after booting from the HD (sometimes).  This has
>happened to 2 of the SE's in our department.  Most faculty here at this

I have also noticed the same sort of weirdness this week.  After returning
from a trip and finding that I cannot boot from my external 30MB drive, I
switched to booting from my AUX sash partition.  I've been running like
this for a few days (no time to restore bootblocks yet) and have noticed
that I can't get DAs to come up when running Multifinder - pull down menu,
select DA, mouse up - all I get is a beep-alert.  Today a co-worker came in
and appears to have the same problem on an SE with 2.5 MB RAM.  BTW my IIx
has 5 MB.

casper@kim.fwi.uva.nl (Casper H.S. Dik) (06/20/89)

In article <2143@sol.oakhill.UUCP} joej@sol.UUCP (Joe Jelemensky) writes:
}In article <679@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:
}>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
}>
}
}I have also noticed the same sort of weirdness this week.  After returning
}from a trip and finding that I cannot boot from my external 30MB drive, I
}switched to booting from my AUX sash partition.  I've been running like
}this for a few days (no time to restore bootblocks yet) and have noticed
}that I can't get DAs to come up when running Multifinder - pull down menu,
					      ^^^^^^^^^^^
}select DA, mouse up - all I get is a beep-alert.  Today a co-worker came in
}and appears to have the same problem on an SE with 2.5 MB RAM.  BTW my IIx
}has 5 MB.

One of our users had exactly the same problem. It turned out to be a
missing DA Handler. You can find the DA Handler on the original system
disks. The DA Handler is only used with Multifinder.

I think it's rather stupid that the system just beeps instead of putting up
an alert box with 'DA Handler missing'.

Hope this helps,
--
Casper H.S. Dik
University of Amsterdam     |		      casper@fwi.uva.nl

RatRunner@cup.portal.com (Geoff RatRunner Crooks) (06/21/89)

Something similar to this happened to me... I mailed the original poster
in this group, and it turns out that his problem was the same as mine -
If you want to make your troubles go away, and you are running system
version 6.0x, take the MacroMaker Init out of the system file and burn
it... more than likely, it is the root of your evil.
Disclaimer:  I rarely know what I'm talking about, but then neither
             does anyone else (know what I'm talking about).

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (06/22/89)

In article <749@janus.UUCP> casper@fwi.uva.nl (Casper H.S. Dik) writes:
>In article <2143@sol.oakhill.UUCP} joej@sol.UUCP (Joe Jelemensky) writes:
>}In article <679@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:
>}that I can't get DAs to come up when running Multifinder - pull down menu,
>
>...missing DA Handler. You can find the DA Handler on the original system
>disks. The DA Handler is only used with Multifinder.

Even if you do have DA Handler, you get exactly the same worrthless beep
message if you just dont have enough MultiFinder memory available to run
DA Handler (why is this different from other applications that tell you
if there isnt enough memory?). BTW you can run DAs without DA Handler
by holding OPTION while selecting the DA - this uses foreground application
memory.

Richard Fozzard					"Serendipity empowers"
University of Colorado
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu                   (303)492-8136 or 444-3168

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (06/22/89)

Here's another possible senario to the "DAs won't work" problem.  I have
found that in certain situations with certain memory hungry INITs, DA handler
refuses to load any DAs in Multifinder.  The fix is weird, but simple.
Open ResEdit, and have it open DA handler.  Find the "SIZE" resource, and
open it. Scroll to the bottom of the resource that appears in front of you
and you will see how much memory DA handler asks the system for, a *tiny*
16K.  You may play around with various higher memory sizes that may suit you.
On my system, I was forced to allocate 120K, since on my machine, the first
3.3 megabytes is taken by System, Multifinder, and all my INITs. believe it
or not, yes my system still works.  Although no one seems to want to borry
my mac for anything... ;)

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta
  REWING@APPLE.COM