[comp.sys.mac] What's Studio Session up to these days?

elliott@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jim Elliott) (06/20/89)

I remember being amazingly impressed with Studio Session, a sampled
sound arranging and performing package that I saw running on a Mac
Plus a few years ago--it somehow got six channels of eight-bit samples
smoothly running even on that system, and was a lot of fun.

I'd like to know if there is a new version of the software that works
on the newer hardware with the sound manager, stereo features, and the
like, and is correspondingly even more amazing... If so, what does it
do, where can I order it, and what does it cost?
-----
Jim Elliott				     "A more subtly incorrect theory"
elliott@netserv2.its.rpi.edu

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (06/22/89)

In article <5557@rpi.edu>, elliott@itsgw.rpi.edu (Jim Elliott) writes:

> I remember being amazingly impressed with Studio Session, a sampled
> sound arranging and performing package that I saw running on a Mac
> Plus a few years ago--it somehow got six channels of eight-bit samples
> smoothly running even on that system, and was a lot of fun.
>
> I'd like to know if there is a new version of the software that works
> on the newer hardware with the sound manager, stereo features, and the
> like, and is correspondingly even more amazing... If so, what does it
> do, where can I order it, and what does it cost?
> -----
> Jim Elliott				     "A more subtly incorrect theory"
> elliott@netserv2.its.rpi.edu
Well, I sent off for the upgrade to Studio Session - "Super Studio Session",
which has 8 (yes, count 'em, EIGHT!!) simultaneous "channels" and much more
volume.  The cassette player is no longer in the package (probably couldn't
get 8 VU meters on a Mac+/SE etc. display :-) ).  The stuff works on the
SE/30 and all the other Macs too I think.  There is no stereo, there is
a "jukebox" feature that allows you to select a set of songs to play.
There is also the ability to save a digital recording of a song to disk,
but at 11KHz that's a lot of disk space for a song lasting a few minutes.
I like it a lot - though I must admit to not having had enough time to play
with it much.

Computer Science Dept.,   *                                                 *
Liverpool University,     * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
PO Box 147                * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
Liverpool  L69  3BX       *                                                 *