[comp.sys.mac] Versaterm Upgrade?

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (06/21/89)

When will this rumored upgrade of versaterm be a happening?  Inquiring
owners want to know.  What functionality will be changed/added?

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (06/21/89)

> When will this rumored upgrade of versaterm be a happening?  Inquiring
> owners want to know.  What functionality will be changed/added?

Three weeks ago I called and was told it should be shipping in two
weeks. Which means it should be ready now. Probably isn't though.
I understand that he has made use of multilevel menus in a few places
and that in general the user interface is changed quite a bit. Apparently
is has a built-in editor, that is, you can edit what you see on the
terminal screen. I would find that useful for my own purposes.

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

thisted@galton.uchicago.edu (Ronald A. Thisted) (06/21/89)

In article <8702@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>When will this rumored upgrade of versaterm be a happening?  Inquiring
>owners want to know.  What functionality will be changed/added?

My upgrade to Versaterm 4.0 arrived yesterday, and I am using it as I
speak to send this followup.  The new program is a much cleaner version
of its predecessors, and the manual is a 100% improvement.  Three
particularly nice new features are (1) the last 100 lines or so of a
terminal session are saved *across Versterm launches*, (2) the
HANGUP command now transmits a hangup sequence before dropping the line,
and (3) a mini-editor has been built in that can be used to edit a
selection before saving, or to compose a mail message using Mac-style
editing on the Mac instead of vi or emacs editing on the host machine.
Menus have been reorganized and cleaned, and many small features have
been added to improve functionality and ease of use.

All in all, improvements (especially in documentation) worth waiting
for.  Once again Abelbeck, et al, prove that they are the class act when
it comes to telecom software: I sent them my check back in early
February and they did not cash before shipping the product.  Also, they
are re-assigning serial numbers.  The new registration card is *postage
paid*, so that I don't even have to find a 0.15 stamp.

Ron Thisted
Department of Statistics/The University of Chicago
thisted@galton.uchicago.edu

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (06/22/89)

>>When will this rumored upgrade of versaterm be a happening?  Inquiring
>>owners want to know.  What functionality will be changed/added?
>
> My upgrade to Versaterm 4.0 arrived yesterday, and I am using it as I
> speak to send this followup.

Mine arrived as well. One thing that has improved is its scrolling speed.
Definitely the fastest of any Mac terminal program I've seen.
It still appears that 12 point is the largest font I can have though.
I'll try patching in something larger, but I doubt it will work as he
appears to hard code font spacing.

> Once again Abelbeck, et al, prove that they are the class act when
> it comes to telecom software: I sent them my check back in early
> February and they did not cash before shipping the product.  Also, they
> are re-assigning serial numbers.  The new registration card is *postage
> paid*, so that I don't even have to find a 0.15 stamp.

I agree they're good, but I think Abelbeck breaks some Mac interface
guidelines, such as the font spacing being hard coded, and things
like the editor being a modal dialog.

And yes, the postage was prepaid, but Abelbeck should realize the
American postage isn't any good in Canada! :-)