[comp.sys.mac] Binhex for unix?

rick@wam.UMD.EDU (06/22/89)

This is going to sound really dumb but does anyone know if there is a
binhex program for unix and if so where it might be and what it is called.
I found a few programs that I would like to download but unfortunately thay
are not binhexed (.hqx) and they won't download right any other way.  Any help
with this question should be mailed directly to me to avoid cluttering the
newsgroup.  Thanx

	rick@wam.umd.edu			rick@wam.umd.edu

All opinions stated belong to no-one (including myself)!

kcr%rushforth@Sun.COM (Kevin Rushforth) (06/22/89)

In article <8906211848.AA26083@cscwam.UMD.EDU> rick@wam.UMD.EDU writes:
>This is going to sound really dumb but does anyone know if there is a
>binhex program for unix and if so where it might be and what it is called.
>I found a few programs that I would like to download but unfortunately thay
>are not binhexed (.hqx) and they won't download right any other way.  Any help
>with this question should be mailed directly to me to avoid cluttering the
>newsgroup.  Thanx

I figured this might be of general interest, so I will post it instead
of mailing it.  There is a program called mcvert -- which is available
from the info-mac archives -- that will convert MacBinary files to and
from BinHex format.  Mcvert also converts data files to and from
MacBinary format, and can thus be used to convert a data file to BinHex
format.  The command:

    mcvert -U -x FileName.bin

will take the MacBinary file "FileName.bin" and produce the BinHex file
"FileName.hqx".  Hope this helps.

--
Kevin C. Rushforth                   | "If winning is not important,
Sun Microsystems                     |  then commander, why keep score?"
                                     |              - Lt. Worf
ARPA: kcr@sun.com                    |
UUCP: <most-backbone-sites>!sun!kcr  |

stuart@ihlpa.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) (06/22/89)

In article <111556@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, kcr%rushforth@Sun.COM (Kevin Rushforth) writes:
[...]
> of mailing it.  There is a program called mcvert -- which is available
> from the info-mac archives -- that will convert MacBinary files to and
> from BinHex format.  Mcvert also converts data files to and from
> MacBinary format, and can thus be used to convert a data file to BinHex
[ and so on... ]

Uhm this is great, but the latest version of mcvert does not run
on System V.  My employer seems to prefer Sys V :-).  Does anyone
have a version of mcvert or any other .bin converter that runs
on System V (not BSD!!!).  I *do* have xbin and mac{get,put}
already.  It would be nice to convert back and forth between
BinHex and MacBinary.

Thanks!

Stuart

If you knew how much I love you, you'd faint!
	-- Johnny Jones, "Foreign Correspondent"

--
Stuart Ericson			AT&T Bell Laboratories	  | Note: area code 312
USEnet: att!ihlpa!stuart	IH 1C215		  |   becomes 708 on