[comp.sys.mac] New virus? and other stuff

jap2_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Joseph Poutre) (06/15/89)

I may have run into a new virus.  When running Interferon 3.1 on our
harddrive and asking it to report anomalies it detected a type 003
anomaly, the Sneak virus, in the Finder and the DA Handler.  While it did
not register when I truned the anomaly reporter off, I wondered about this, and discovered it was on all consultant disks, and mine too.  The Finers are
either 6.1 or 5.3.  Is there a part of Finder that would set this off, or
do I have a new virus?  Is there any program that will eradicate the Sneak
virus, and where can I get it to try it?  Post or email.  If I get only
email responses I will summarize in a post.

On a lighter note, could someone help me withthe Radical Caslte game?
I can't get out of the basement of the castle, other than by doing the
strange stuff.  Can anyone give me a hint or the solution.

Also, I would like the final Beta test version of Servant, .999.  Where
is it available?

Thank you, and have a surrealistic day.
The Mad Mathematician
jap2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
The "People's Republic" is neither.
STV quote: ... _ ._ _. _..   _... ._ _._. _._

cleeland@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Chris Cleeland) (06/16/89)

In article <2278@ur-cc.UUCP> jap2_ss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Joseph Poutre) writes:
>I may have run into a new virus.  When running Interferon 3.1 on our
>harddrive and asking it to report anomalies it detected a type 003
>anomaly, the Sneak virus, in the Finder and the DA Handler.  While it did

I beleive that this was asked a few weeks ago, and the reply was that the
so-called "sneak" virus was actually a name dreamed up by the authors of
Interferon to describe something which might be "sneaky" (somebody else
please be more technical about this than I am...my memory fails me at the
moment).  Essentially, there's nothing to worry about -- try Disinfectant
(from sumex) and it won't show up (this doesn't mean that you don't have
another virus which Iterferon can't detect, but...)

>On a lighter note, could someone help me withthe Radical Caslte game?

Sorry, no help there.

>Also, I would like the final Beta test version of Servant, .999.  Where
>is it available?

I, too, would be interested in seeing Andy Hertzfeld's final product.  I
downloaded the version from sumex, and enjoyed using it, but found that it
really wasn't robust enough.  Anybody have any information on it?
--
Thanks
Chris Cleeland, Tulane University

Disclaimer:  I haven't said anything worth not claiming!!!

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (06/22/89)

In article <838@rex.cs.tulane.edu> cleeland@rex.UUCP (Chris Cleeland) writes:

> .......  Essentially, there's nothing to worry about -- try Disinfectant

Has anyone beside me had the following experience with Disinfectant?
At work, I found a couple of our macs (an SE and a II, both running 6.02)
infected with nVirA.  The infected files were System, Finder, and a couple
of applications.  I disinfected everything with Disinfectant 1.1, which upon
running again, claimed to have done its job (no viruses found).

Upon rebooting, I checked the machines with Interferon just for grins...
It found an 002 in System on both machines!  (All other files were fixed
as advertised.)

Naturally I trashed the system files and reinstalled.

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

cleeland@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Chris Cleeland) (06/22/89)

In article <25127@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> prince@cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) writes:

>Has anyone beside me had the following experience with Disinfectant?
>At work, I found a couple of our macs (an SE and a II, both running 6.02)
>infected with nVirA.  The infected files were System, Finder, and a couple
>of applications.  I disinfected everything with Disinfectant 1.1, which upon
>running again, claimed to have done its job (no viruses found).
>
>Upon rebooting, I checked the machines with Interferon just for grins...
>It found an 002 in System on both machines!  (All other files were fixed
>as advertised.)

I think that what probably happened is that the first time that you ran
Interferon, it got infected (this happened to me once when I forgot -- God
what a mess!).  So, Disinfectant did its deed, and cleaned things up.  Then,
when you ran Interferon again, the System got infected again.

The reason that Disinfectant doesn't get infected is b/c each time it is
launched, it performs a check upon itself and disinfects if necessary.  Then
it goes on with its other business (disinfecting your disks).

Maybe you should try running Disinfectant on your copy of Interferon...

--
Thanks
Chris Cleeland, Tulane University

Disclaimer:  I haven't said anything worth not claiming!!!

jln@accuvax.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (06/22/89)

Some virus-fighting programs add a special nVIR 10 "inhibitor" resource to
the system file in an attempt to prevent future infections.  Interferon
mistakenly thinks that this resource is an actual infection.  Disinfectant
does not, and will not remove the resource when repairing the system file.
This is one possible explanation for why in your case Interferon thought
that
your system file was still infected after you repaired it with Disinfectant.

This is just a theory of course - it's impossible to say exactly what
happened in your case.  You did the right thing though - it's always safest
to delete infected files and replace them with known good copies.

Disinfectant does check itself on startup and notify the user if it has been
modified.  It does not, however, try to repair itself if it discovers a
change.

(I'm the author of Disinfectant)

John Norstad      Northwestern University      jln@acns.nwu.edu

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (06/22/89)

If KillVirus had been installed in the system folder, it would have put a
nVIR res #10, this is an inhibitor. Disinfectant does not report this
particular entry since it is not a virus. Interferon does report it since
it is a nVIR resource but it is not "smart" enough to know that the nVIR res
#10 is not a virus.

Atleast thats my understanding.

rob

In article <847@rex.cs.tulane.edu> cleeland@rex.UUCP (Chris Cleeland) writes:
.
.I think that what probably happened is that the first time that you ran
.Interferon, it got infected (this happened to me once when I forgot -- God
.what a mess!).  So, Disinfectant did its deed, and cleaned things up.  Then,
.when you ran Interferon again, the System got infected again.
.
.The reason that Disinfectant doesn't get infected is b/c each time it is
.launched, it performs a check upon itself and disinfects if necessary.  Then
.it goes on with its other business (disinfecting your disks).
.
.Maybe you should try running Disinfectant on your copy of Interferon...
.
>Chris Cleeland, Tulane University

Sorry if my message was unclear the first time...I  *didn't* run interferon
prior to running disinfectant.  I scanned with disinfectant 1.1, found
system, finder, and several applications dirty (nVIR.a), disinfected with
disinfectant, ran disinfectant again which claimed everything was clean,
then ran a *reliably clean* interferon which claimed system was still dirty.

I didn't take any chances...I threw system away.