[comp.sys.mac] Macintosh<-->Unix connection

florianb@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM (Florian Bell) (06/21/89)

I have also wrestled with this problem.  I wished to connect my Mac II
to our Sun workstations for backup purposes.  After purchasing a Dove
Fastnet III card, now I'm stuck without the possibility of backing up
my disk conveniently (ie I want the host to look like another disk
drive, complete with icon).  We use the TCP/IP on the ethernet.  I've
been told the only software product which will accomplish this is
PacerLink.

If anyone has other information, I'd be delighted to hear.

joej@oakhill.UUCP (Joe Jelemensky) (06/23/89)

In article <4119@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM> florianb@tekred.CNA.TEK.COM (Florian Bell) writes:
>I have also wrestled with this problem.  I wished to connect my Mac II
>to our Sun workstations for backup purposes.  After purchasing a Dove

I read a small article in Macweek (issue before current one) about a
product called "uShare"  It wasn't a full-blown review.  The article said it
made the Unix host look like an Appleshare server to the Macs - therfore
no special software for each node.  Connection was via a Fastpath box.  My
SA said he has heard about it and will try to get more info.  However, since
he is somewhat overworked and therefore somewhat unreliable, I'd like to
hear from anyone on the net who is familiar with this product.