[comp.sys.mac] Logging software

gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) (06/20/89)

Does anyone know of any software (shareware hopefully) that
logs to a file the startup and shutdown times?  We need this
to keep tract of the usage of our computers in the labs.

Thanks in advance.
* Greg Ford								      *
* Univeristy of Southern California	Internet: gford%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu *

sklein@cdp.UUCP (06/22/89)

GateKeeper keeps a log of the startup and shutdown times.

rm@praxa.com.au (Rick Mather: Praxa Sydney) (06/23/89)

In article <4144@merlin.usc.edu>, gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) writes:
> Does anyone know of any software (shareware hopefully) that
> logs to a file the startup and shutdown times?  We need this
> to keep tract of the usage of our computers in the labs.

Yes, it's called 'Launch'. It was posted to comp.binaries.mac here in aus. a
few weeks ago. It isn't there now, archived I guess. I have a copy of it. If
you want it I'll squish it and E-mail it, let me know. It is shareware, if I'm
wrong somebody let me know please.

We are having discussions on the net this side of the world about login
problems. Someone thinks Launch is pretty good but it doesn't force the user to
register his name at startup, so it is pretty pointless using Launch until we
sort something out about forcing a user to register.

BTW, Launch provides a log file in the System Folder with a format like this;

Program			Date		Time		Length      User
Machine Start Up	06/16/88	10:08:58	00:00:08    Alter Ego
Microsoft Word          06/16/88        10:09:40        00:45:10    Alter Ego

Hopefully the fellow who wants to write an INIT to force login registration
will include some security features like locking the HD at restart/shutdown
time, and a list of registered users.

I came in to work one morning and someone had wrecked my system, Launch was
able to tell me the machine was restarted no less than 18 times in an hour, and
that eventually somebody played games until 10.30 at night. Needless to say it
could only have been a few people, but now games are banned altogether. It
works but really needs to force the user to login.

	...Rick Mather

In deference to pete@basser.oz.AU (pete%basser.oz.AU@UUNET.UU.NET) {uunet,mcvax
,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!basser.oz!pete JANET: (POST) pete%au.oz.basser@EAN-RELAY
(MAIL) EAN%"pete@au.oz.basser", whose opinions are not expressed, implied or