[comp.sys.mac] LogicWorks for Mac

pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (David B. Pakman) (06/23/89)

Has anyone heard of LogicWorks for the Macintosh?  It is a digital
circuit simulator, not unlike DigSim, archived at sumex.
Any comments?  I am looking to evaluate any digital circuit
simulators, emulators, or design tools available.

If you know anything about these or where one could obtain
them, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

-David Pakman
Apple Student Rep
University of Pennsylvania
ARPA: pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu
AppleLink: ST0338

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (06/24/89)

There's LogiMac, in the Kinko's Academic Courseware Exchange Catalog,
800-235-6919.

If anyone knows of any comparable _analog_ circuit analysis programs
for the Mac (other than the high-priced SPICE's), I'd like to know
about those.

z8my@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (06/24/89)

In article <12350@netnews.upenn.edu> pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (David B. Pakman) writes:
>Has anyone heard of LogicWorks for the Macintosh?  It is a digital
>circuit simulator, not unlike DigSim, archived at sumex.
>Any comments?  I am looking to evaluate any digital circuit
>simulators, emulators, or design tools available.

I found laying out circuits in LogicWorks to be too much work.  You've
got to lay out all the components, then route all of the wires yourself
(every little corner you care to turn)  It's far too easy for crossed
wires to become logically connected, and several cycles of deletions and
additions seem to confuse it--some wires become connected internally, though
the display shows them unconnected.  Usually, at that point, you've start
up a new worksheet, and rebuild the circuit...

Also, there isn't a whole lot of debugging support.  You can start and
stop the circuit.  That's it.

It seems to me that a program of this type should allow multiple views of
the circuit, I remember spending a lot of time scrolling around, or adding
some wires and logic probes to bring all of the relevent signals and switches
onto one screen.

Also, the component library is rather small (though it does have a way
to add "libraries" of black box components)

Finally, the hardcopy output is horrendous.  Black box components from
"libraries" are bitmapped objects.  Single wires can become disconnected
on the printout.

This may seem harsh:  other people seemed to think it was the next best
thing to sliced bread (oohh, what an awfull cliche...)  But some of these
complaints were in common.

Sam Paik
d65y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

p.s.  I used it in a class here at Cornell.

t-deeps@microsoft.UUCP (Deepak Seth) (06/25/89)

Hello!

I recently downloaded uupc for the Macintosh from sumex.  I was wondering
if anyone had already setup uupc for their Mac.  I need some instructions
and documentation on this procedure.
I was interested in finding out if there is any documentation available
on setup instructions.  Please e-mail response.  Thanks!

PS:  I am not a sophisticated UNIX user, so be explicit.

Deepak Seth
Internet:  deepaks@coil.cs.orst.edu
UUCP:  t-deeps@microsoft.UUCP