[comp.sys.mac] Undefeatable Vaccine??

pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (David B. Pakman) (06/22/89)

I have heard that someone at the University of Michigan has created
a version of Vaccine that is un-defeatable.  Has anyone heard about
such a utility?  I am thinking in terms of public labs where we don't
want users disabling the protection of Vaccine or overriding
gatekeeper.

Any info would be grately appreciated.

Thanks,

-David Pakman
Apple Student Rep
University of Pennsylvania
ARPA: pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu
AppleLink: ST0338

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) (06/22/89)

In article <12270@netnews.upenn.edu> pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (David B. Pakman) writes:
>I have heard that someone at the University of Michigan has created
>a version of Vaccine that is un-defeatable.

Don't believe it.  Any protection scheme can be defeated by a sufficiently
clever and determined programmer.

Now, if what you want is just a version that can't be turned off by the user,
that can be done to varying levels of sophistication.  All of these ideas can
be undone by a determined student, but they'll prevent casual disabling:

 - change the file type from cdev to INIT, so it won't show up in the control
panel.
 - make the file invisible, so the students can't drag it out of the system
folder.
 - copy the resources into the system file so that there isn't a separate file
for the students to remove.

I haven't tried any of these, so I don't know if they'll cause problems
(although making the file invisible should be harmless), but they're possible
options.  Whether they'll be any use depends on how resourceful (so to speak)
the users are, which you'll have to judge for yourself.  And of course nothing
will help if people boot off their own floppies.

  Robert

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (06/22/89)

In article <12273@netnews.upenn.edu> rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert
Rubinoff) writes:
>  - make the file invisible, so the students can't drag it out of the
> system folder.

Recent versions of the OS will not run INITs found in invisible files.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 27-O |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (06/22/89)

In article <12270@netnews.upenn.edu> pakman@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (David B. Pakman) writes:
>I have heard that someone at the University of Michigan has created
>a version of Vaccine that is un-defeatable.  Has anyone heard about
>such a utility?  I am thinking in terms of public labs where we don't
>want users disabling the protection of Vaccine or overriding
>gatekeeper.

  I should first point out that there are two factions here at the University
of Michigan; the Computing Center, which serves the general student population,
and CAEN, which serves the Engineering school.  The two have little to do
with each other; they have different policies, consultants, etc.  As a result,
we have two modifed versions of Vaccine here at U-M.
  The CC version has the cdev code totally removed, and the 'Granted' button
has been moved outside the visible area of the dialog box, so the user has no
choice but to click 'Denied'.  This method has some obvious problems, the first
being that people who write programs cannot use CC machines, since there is
no way to add CODE resources into the application.  The second is that the
removal of the cdev resource causes problems with Disinfectant, as documented
in that program.
  The CAEN version has its file type changed to INIT, so the cdev will not show
up in the Control Panel (which was why CC removed the cdev code), but we did
not modifiy the dialog.  While this is less secure than CC's version, our
version does not have problems with Disinfectant, and people who write programs
can add resources to their applications.
  Note that neither version is "undefeatable".  We have just made it harder
to turn off Vaccine.  A user can still boot off his own floppy which might not
have Vaccine on it.  The most we can do in this case is to discourage this.
CAEN's machines are reloaded each week to keep the chance of an infestation
down.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail: mystone@{sol,caen}.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan             | Real-mail: Dean Yu
Computer Aided Engineering Network |            909 Church St
===================================|            Apt C
"These are MY opinions." (My       |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104
 employer doesn't want them.       |===========================================
 Actually, they don't really care  |
 what I think.  But President      |   This space intentionally left blank.
 Duderstadt does...)               |

In article <32604@apple.Apple.COM> jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) writes:
>Dear Dean -
>	Good to see you up on the net.  Want to tell us about your "killer
>Inits"?

  But Jordan, we all know that it was YOUR fault that MobileDialogs crashed! ;)

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (06/22/89)

In article <12273@netnews.upenn.edu> rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) writes:
> ... [ leadin as to why you might want to make turning off Vaccine difficult]
>
> - change the file type from cdev to INIT, so it won't show up in the control
>panel.
This will (should) work.

> - make the file invisible, so the students can't drag it out of the system
>folder.
This won't work with System 6.0.2.  Invisible INITs don't get executed at
System Startup.  This was a change made due to the characteristics of some
of the earlier viruses -- they created invisible INITs that did their
dirty work.
> - copy the resources into the system file so that there isn't a separate file
>for the students to remove.
This might or might not work -- it depends upon how Vaccine was written.

>I haven't tried any of these, so I don't know if they'll cause problems
>(although making the file invisible should be harmless), but they're possible
OOPS       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (06/23/89)

Dear Dean -
	Good to see you up on the net.  Want to tell us about your "killer
Inits"?

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET
Development Tools Product Management   AppleLink: Mattson1
20525 Mariani Avenue, MS 27S
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-974-4601
			"Joy is the serious business of heaven."
					C.S. Lewis

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (06/24/89)

Dean -
	I'll be sure to send you a copy of the next issue of
Mac/CHICAGO magazine with a picture of me sitting next to my Mac
with my "Kill Dean's INITs" button carefully propped up next to it!
	Of course it's all Jordan's fault that I put it there!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) ;-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
                       | GEnie: H.Schmitt  (Occasionally)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

dcc@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) (06/26/89)

just something to add...

i know someone who used resedit to move the "Granted" button out of the
dialog's rect, so it was still there, but you couldn't see/click it.  this
is going a bit to the extreme, but it works.  although non-viral resources
could complicate things (font da mover would be rendered useless).

daniel
--
dcc@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu      daniel@ncsuvm.BITNET    d.c.carr, GEnie