[comp.sys.mac] Clean Computing

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (06/23/89)

Let me speak to you a moment about a problem that plagues all of us:

	Dirty Mac Cases.

That's right.  Those formerly nice platinum (or beige) casings are now
(or will soon be) impregnated with some real Impermeable crud (even
thought there's no smokers or anyone who would do such a thing as dirty
a Mac case on purpose.)  It seems Macs just seem to attract dirt from the
air and revel in it, resulting in some nasty streaks and stains.

Here's a test:  (I know this will be hard!) Take your eyes off your
Mac's screen just for a minute.  (Only just for a minute, you can put
them back right away.)  Now, look at your case.  Wretched, isn't it?

This really seems to be a suitable topic with which to mobilize the
mavens of comp.sys.mac to action:

OK, Mac hackers!  What do *you* use to clean your Mac case?  (Given that
you do clean it.)  What works the best?  Also, what did you use that
really messed it up, if you so did?

This is really valuable information, not available in stores, so I await
your contributions!

-Owen

Owen Hartnett
Brown University Computer Science

omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET

mdc@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Marty Connor) (06/23/89)

Windex and Bounty (paper towels).

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (06/23/89)

In article <9180@brunix.UUCP> omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) writes:

>OK, Mac hackers!  What do *you* use to clean your Mac case?  (Given that
>you do clean it.)  What works the best?  Also, what did you use that
>really messed it up, if you so did?

Depending on the type of crud, we use one of several cleaners in our repair
lab, on virtually any equipment, including-but-not-limited-to Macs.

   1) A spray cleaner such as 409 or Fantastik (spelling?).

   2) A contact cleaner, available in any electronics supply store (yes,
      this works great on EXTERIOR dirt and smudges).

   3) Isopropyl alcohol.

NOTE:  We recommend the following "don'ts":

   Don't spray solvents or cleaners directly onto the equipment -- use
   a clean (pref. static-free) nonabrasive cloth.

   Don't use strong solvents like acetone or MEK!

   Don't leave the equipment turned on while cleaning.

   (Maybe I'm being fussy, but better safe than sorry...)

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

cleeland@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Chris Cleeland) (06/24/89)

In article <9180@brunix.UUCP> omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) writes:

>OK, Mac hackers!  What do *you* use to clean your Mac case?  (Given that
>you do clean it.)  What works the best?  Also, what did you use that
>really messed it up, if you so did?

I use the wet terminal wipes that came with my Macintosh (it was bundled
with the system from the store).  They seem to have some sort of alchohol-
based solution in them, and it takes off the dirt quite well.

If you can't find these (they should be available at your local neighborhood
business computer store), try using some Windex.
--
Thanks
Chris Cleeland, Tulane University

Disclaimer:  I haven't said anything worth not claiming!!!

David.Bolduc@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Bolduc) (06/26/89)

My dealer uses lemon extract to clean Mac cases, but it's STRONG (put it
on the little Apple logo, and it'll take the paint off, leaving you with a
little platinum apple-shaped bump).

--
David Bolduc via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!David.Bolduc

steve@arc.UUCP (Steve Savitzky) (06/27/89)

In article <9180@brunix.UUCP> omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) writes:
>OK, Mac hackers!  What do *you* use to clean your Mac case?

Alcohol.  Specifically isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (I assume vodka
would work, but I have better things to do with it:-).  Works great on
the goop that collects on the keyboard.

You can get screen-cleaning wipes with some anti-static goop for the
display, which mainly attracts dust.

DO NOT!!! use spray cleaners!  If you feel the urge to use something
like Windex, spray it onto a paper towel first, and be careful where
you rub it.  Otherwise you risk getting potentially corrosive liquid
into the insides of your machine.

Freon spray would be ok for your hardware, but it's bad for the ozone
layer.

--
  Steve Savitzky               |   apple.com!arc!steve
  ADVANsoft Research Corp.     |   (408)727-3357