[comp.sys.mac] What is the Best "C" compiler program out there?

parnes@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Gary Parnes) (06/22/89)

I'm ready to start some serious programming (for the Mac?  I gotta be kidding!)
What is the best "C" compiler that I could get, considering what I have:

Mac SE, 1 Meg RAM, 30 Meg HD

And does this program include lotsa documentation?  How about the price?

						Gary

/=============================================================================\
| "You're obviously misinformed... everything  |  Gary Parnes		      |
|  EAST of the San Andreas Fault is going to   |  Computer Science Engineer   |
|  fall into the ATLANTIC Ocean."              |  University of Pennsylvania  |
|   *** parnes@eniac.seas.upenn.edu ***        |  *NOT* Penn State, Dammit!   |
\=============================================================================/

heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu (Todd) (06/23/89)

In article <12292@netnews.upenn.edu> parnes@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Gary Parnes) writes:
>I'm ready to start some serious programming (for the Mac?  I gotta be kidding!)
>What is the best "C" compiler that I could get, considering what I have:
>
>Mac SE, 1 Meg RAM, 30 Meg HD
>
>And does this program include lotsa documentation?  How about the price?
>
>						Gary

I personally use Manx's Aztec C.  I originally purchased it 2 years
ago and have stuck with it (2 upgrades since).  I think if you are
just starting out, that is not committed to any flavor yet, I would
seriously look at THINK C by Symantic (I think thats it, it used to be
Light Speed C, LSC-I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong :-).

THINK C is very popular, so if you have problems you can get help
easily. _The_Colony_ was written in it. And I have seen someone on the
net from Symantic respond directly to a few problems.  These three
items (popularity, real programs being written with it, and support)
are the main reasons I like THINK C.

Price: The price for THINK C has gone up where I shop from $120 to
$170, but that is still a very good price for a compiler (I orignally
paid $225 for mine with a student discount).  However, you will
probably be spending at least as much money in books (this is probably
true for any compiler).

System: I believe there are a number of whistle and bells with Think C
which requires 2 Megs or more.  However, I am sure the basic stuff
works fine with one Meg (BUT CHECK to make sure).  The more souped up
your machine the better.  Software development will push any machine
to the edge, so you may want to consider putting some more money into
your machine at a later date (like when you find some money :-)

I hope I haven't discouraged you.  Programming on the Mac can be
expensive and time consuming, but is also A LOT OF FUN :-)

Todd Heberlein
heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu	128.120.57.20

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (06/23/89)

In article <4728@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, heberlei@iris.ucdavis.edu (Todd) writes:
> Price: The price for THINK C has gone up where I shop from $120 to
> $170, but that is still a very good price for a compiler (I orignally
> paid $225 for mine with a student discount).  However, you will
> probably be spending at least as much money in books (this is probably
> true for any compiler).

I recently purchased a copy of Lightspeed C, and I must say that I am
not disappointed.  (I bought my copy from the Mac Zone for $159.)  I use
it on a Mac SE with a 20MB hard drive and 1MB of memory without any problems
(well, almost -- see below).  The make facilities, project management features,
fast compilation, etc. make it an excellent buy.

> System: I believe there are a number of whistle and bells with Think C
> which requires 2 Megs or more.  However, I am sure the basic stuff
> works fine with one Meg (BUT CHECK to make sure).  The more souped up
> your machine the better.  Software development will push any machine
> to the edge, so you may want to consider putting some more money into
> your machine at a later date (like when you find some money :-)

Yes, the basic compiler works very well with 1MB.  However, in order to
get full use out of the integrated debugger, you need 2MB.  The debugger
is excellent, as well.

[A quick note:
  I wrote an FKEY that does an ExitToShell so that I could get rid of the
  Finder, freeing up 160K of memory.  By doing that and adjusting the
  memory sizes of the debugger, my application, and the compiler, I can
  run under MultiFinder with 1MB of memory and be able to use the debugger.
  The debugger does require MultiFinder.  But there is one problem with this:
  I cannot quit from Lightspeed C; the machine will crash (of course: no
  Finder).
]

As for documentation, you will need to spend a good amount on books.  I
have Inside Mac volumes 1 and 2, How to Write Macintosh Software, and
Macintosh Programming Secrets (Knaster's two books).  They give you a good
idea of what is going on, but don't expect them to hold your hand all the
way through.

Right now, I am trying to get a copy of the _Programmer's Introduction to
the Macintosh_ from the Apple Programmer's and Developer's Association.
It is supposed to do a good job of helping the struggling Mac programmer
(that's me, although I am getting better).

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (06/24/89)

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:

> But there is one problem with this: I cannot quit from Lightspeed C;
> the machine will crash [after having quit the Finder under MF with
> an ExitToShell FKEY]

This is not true. If you have quit the Finder under MF and
subsequently quit the only other app active, the Finder will
re-launch. This is true for 6.0.2 and 6.0.3; it should be true for any
System that shipped MF with it.

If your machine crashes, it is for some other reason.

Stephan

Stephan Somogyi                 MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com
NetWorkShop Coordinator                    or
MacUser                      ...sun!cup.portal.com!MacUserLabs

Stay alert, trust no-one, keep your laser handy.

Any opinions expressed above are mine.

tmyers@orion.cf.uci.edu (Tracy Myers) (06/27/89)

In article <7892@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>Right now, I am trying to get a copy of the _Programmer's Introduction to
>the Macintosh_ from the Apple Programmer's and Developer's Association.
>It is supposed to do a good job of helping the struggling Mac programmer
>(that's me, although I am getting better).

I found the _Programmer's Introduction..._ at B Dalton.