[comp.sys.mac] Good C Prog. Book

pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) (06/26/89)

I came across a very good book for people getting started with
programing on the Mac using Lightspeed C.
The name of the book is

		Macintosh Programming Primer
		Inside the toolbox using
		THINK's LightspeedC
			by
		Dave Mark and Cartwright Reed
		Addison Wesley $24.95

I have Inside Macintosh and Macintosh Revealed, but needed something
else to help me start out.  This is it.  Not only it helps you with
using the compiler (which manual is sometimes confusing) but it
also helps with Resedit, translating those calls from Pascal, and has
about 6 or 7 programs that guide you through the Toolbox routines.

Out of the three C books for the Mac that I know of, this is the best.
The other two are published by SAMS and, IMHO, are not good.

Two thumbs up!!!!

pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu or pff@mil.ufl.edu
Pablo Fernicola- Machine Intelligence Laboratory
University of Florida

Do disclaimers protect me, or my employer?
--
pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu  Pablo Fernicola - Machine Intelligence Laboratory - UF
"That has nothing to do with computers; it is software."

jnh@ecemwl.ncsu.edu (Joseph N. Hall) (06/27/89)

In article <20511@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>I came across a very good book for people getting started with
>programing on the Mac using Lightspeed C.
>The name of the book is
>
>		Macintosh Programming Primer
>		Inside the toolbox using
>		THINK's LightspeedC

I agree.  This is the ONLY book about programming the Mac in the "C"
environment that I can recommend, and I recommend it to anyone interested
in that topic.  The shorter examples are a welcome change from the
"Macintosh Revealed" text editor, which was just too big ... these are
small enough that you can type one in and play with it in an hour or
two (if you type well enough).

They do a decent job of introducing the loathsome Finder resources, too,
but I don't remember seeing them mention that the Creator id in the
application must be set properly, at least not in any conspicuous way in
the chapter on the Finder resources.  But I guess after you read the Primer,
and the Tech Note about "Bundles," and the appropriate parts of IM, you'll
figure it out sooner or later ...

Good stuff, basically.  Their "C" style is readable, if not quite up to
the standards of a good Un*x hacker ...