[comp.sys.mac] SIMM pricing

bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob DeBula) (06/20/89)

In glancing through the prices on SIMMs, I am struck by something rather
strange; Why are the SIMM prices for MAC SIMMs (8 chips) more than the price
for IBM (etc.) SIMMs (9 chips).  This wouldn't bother me so much if I hadn't
been running quite happily for the past 6 months with a bank of IBM (9 chip)
SIMMs in my MAC-II.  Are the extra bucks just for the warm fuzzy feeling
given by using "the right stuff" or what?  Even if there were a difference,
production costs on the MAC SIMMs should be cheaper (with one less chip).
Please do not flame me for referring to them as "chips", I'm sure everyone
understands what I mean :-)
-=-
Bob DeBula                    | Internet:   bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University     | Disclaimer: These are my views, not the U's

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (06/20/89)

In article <138@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob DeBula) writes:

>In glancing through the prices on SIMMs, I am struck by something rather
>strange; Why are the SIMM prices for MAC SIMMs (8 chips) more than the price
>for IBM (etc.) SIMMs (9 chips)...

For the same reason that polish for airplanes is more expensive than polish for
automobiles.  The perception of quality means you can charge more for
accessories.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (06/21/89)

In article <138@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob DeBula) writes:

>In glancing through the prices on SIMMs, I am struck by something rather
>strange; Why are the SIMM prices for MAC SIMMs (8 chips) more than the price
>for IBM (etc.) SIMMs (9 chips).  This wouldn't bother me so much if I hadn't
>been running quite happily for the past 6 months with a bank of IBM (9 chip)
>SIMMs in my MAC-II.  Are the extra bucks just for the warm fuzzy feeling
>given by using "the right stuff" or what?  Even if there were a difference,
>production costs on the MAC SIMMs should be cheaper (with one less chip).
>Please do not flame me for referring to them as "chips", I'm sure everyone
>understands what I mean :-)
>-=-
>Bob DeBula                    | Internet:   bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
>The Ohio State University     | Disclaimer: These are my views, not the U's

I believe this is an "economy of scale" issue. 9 Chip SIMMS are use for all
the newer IBM type machines (that is any of them that use SIMMS at all) and
for many PC expansion boards. Therefor the total market for these SIMMS is
considerably larger.

As for using them in a Mac, I would have thought that it was fine, but I
do remember a recent posting saying that it wasn't  really safe, as there is
then a line or 2 that are not tied down (or was it tied high) these supposedly
cause potential noise/heat problems.  I really dont know how true this is
(details anyone who knows?) but it would seem to be supported by one of the
rumored design details of the fall version of the cx, that it is specifiacally
designed to accept either type of SIMM.

Josh
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

tims@starfish.Convergent.COM (Tim Simmons) (06/21/89)

From article <138@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, by bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob DeBula):

> strange; Why are the SIMM prices for MAC SIMMs (8 chips) more than the price
> for IBM (etc.) SIMMs (9 chips).  This wouldn't bother me so much if I hadn't

EVERYTHING for macs is more expensive than the IBM counterparts!

> production costs on the MAC SIMMs should be cheaper (with one less chip).

Regardless  of production costs, it has to do with marketing not
manufacturing.  Why don't you just stick with the x9 IBM SIMMS?

david@sdacs.ucsd.EDU (Dave the Hirko) (06/21/89)

much discussion has gone on about the difference between the 9 module
PC SIMM and the 8 module Mac SIMM.  This ninth module has to do with
the PC's approach to memory.  Consider for every 8 bits of memory, the
PC needs a ninth 'parity' bit to fool around with.  The Macintosh was
not set up the same way.  Therefore, without any guarantees (although
I have two 9 module SIMMs in my Mac), Macs can go about ignoring the
extra bit and still function properly.

David A. Hirko
Academic Computing Services
University of California, San Diego
DISCLAIMER (from Hell) : My views are mine.  All mine.  Just Mine.

DB: "I'm going to put Oscar down now."
PV: "No, let me do that for you.... You're short, your bellybutton
	sticks out too far, and you're a horrible burden on your mother."

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (06/22/89)

[stuff about x8 SIMMs being more expensive than x9 IBM SIMMs deleted]

Heck, just go with the IBM SIMMs.  They work.  Besides,
according to this week's MacLeak (MacWeek), Apple will
be supporting the x9 SIMMs for parity checking real soon now.

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

granteri@pnet51.cts.com (Grant Erickson) (06/23/89)

>(details anyone who knows?) but it would seem to be supported by one of the
>rumored design details of the fall version of the cx, that it is specifiacally
>designed to accept either type of SIMM.

I notice you speak of the upcoming Mac IICX with the 25 Mhz processor.  I have
heard it is rumored to have on board 8-Bit color and 25 Mhz 68030. Can you
give any more details on this new machine. I was originally going to buy a
IICX on the 17th, but opted to wait because I heard of the 25 Mhz IICX. I also
heard it will be the cheapest Macintosh to produce, and thus be cheaper than
the current IICX.

Any comments Apple? Although I know you guys refrain from making comments
about upcoming releases.

.______________________________________________________________________________.
| UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uuner!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!granteri   |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!granteri@nosc.mil                                   |
| INET: granteri@pnet51.cts.com                                                |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| This Mac Plus isn't mine, I'm just borrowing it, the IIX is in the shop.     |
!______________________________________________________________________________!

joej@oakhill.UUCP (Joe Jelemensky) (06/23/89)

In article <14031@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:
>[stuff about x8 SIMMs being more expensive than x9 IBM SIMMs deleted]
>
>Heck, just go with the IBM SIMMs.  They work.  Besides,
>according to this week's MacLeak (MacWeek), Apple will
>be supporting the x9 SIMMs for parity checking real soon now.

Awh - Parity's for farmers!  Not computers.  The ninth RAM only adds
12.5 % more logic to fail.  1 chance in 9 it's the
the parity RAM that's bad.  Throw in the Murphy factor and it goes WAY UP.

lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) (06/23/89)

In article <944@orbit.UUCP> granteri@pnet51.cts.com (Grant Erickson) writes:
>I notice you speak of the upcoming Mac IICX with the 25 Mhz processor.  I have
>heard it is rumored to have on board 8-Bit color and 25 Mhz 68030. Can you
>give any more details on this new machine. I was originally going to buy a
>IICX on the 17th, but opted to wait because I heard of the 25 Mhz IICX. I also
>heard it will be the cheapest Macintosh to produce, and thus be cheaper than
>the current IICX.

This may or may not be true, but you can bet your bottom dollar that it
will be more expensive than the normal IIcx.  The best we can hope for
is that they'll lower the price of the normal IIcx.

All computer makers seem to do this.  The relative prices of their
machines are based on their relative "power", and not on their production
cost.

I believe that the Plus and SE are good examples of this.  The Plus,
from what I've heard, is actually *more* expensive to manufacture than
the SE, because of the SE's newer design that was optimized in part
particularly for low production cost.  But obviously if they charged
more for the Plus than the SE, they wouldn't sell any of them... So
by substantially cranking up the cost of the SE, they kill two birds
with one stone (the other bird being their profit margin on the SE).

Another example is almost certainly the II versus IIx.  Besides the
Superdrive, the two machines are identical - except that the IIx's
motherboard is much less complicated, since it doesn't need to
worry about the PMMU.  But we all know which machine Apple charges
*substantially* more for...

It's all a charade, but they'll do it as long as people are willing
to pay extra for extra power, which will be always.

Trent Lange

*      "UCLA:  National Men's Volleyball, Women's Softball, and      *
*              Computer Programming Champs"                          *

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (06/27/89)

How do you define "more expensive"?  Looking at prices a Fry's and in
the back of MacWeek, it would cost me more to buy a 1 meg x 9 SIMM for
our PS/2 model 80 at work than it would cost me to buy a 1 meg x 8 SIMM
for my Macintosh.

So in terms of cost to get a meg in the machine, the Mac SIMMs are
cheaper.  On the other hand, the SIMMs for the IBM are using faster
memory, so I may be getting a better deal per chip with the SIMMs
for the IBM.

On a related note, not all SIMMs for MicroChannel machines will work
on a Mac.  I've seen a machine that uses 1 meg SIMMs that are organized
as 256k x 32.  I doubt that this would work well in a Mac.

						Tim Smith