[comp.sys.mac] Memory Expansion in IIcx: What gives?

ahsanullah@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (OHM R) (06/16/89)

Hey folks,

    Last night I spiked a MACIIcx with an additional 4MB.

    Everything is great, however, I noticed the following:  Used to be in the
memory-less days (when it had 1MB), the drawing on the 'Welcome to Macintosh'
would appear in color.  Now, it comes up in BW, although all color functions
are 100% afterwards.

    Anybody have any clues?  If this is a trivial question of no interest to
the rest of the net, please e-mail (for I am, as stated in prior postings, but
a mac-novice).  Thanks much.

Omar

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (06/28/89)

In article <462@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com> ahsanullah@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com writes:
>[...]         I noticed the following:  Used to be in the
>memory-less days (when it had 1MB), the drawing on the 'Welcome to Macintosh'
>would appear in color.  Now, it comes up in BW, although all color functions
>are 100% afterwards.

This problem is (I think) the result of a minor messup in the PRAM settings.
To fix it, use the Monitors control panel device to set the number of colors
to 2, then set it back to 256 (or whatever number of colors you're using).
Thereafter, the startup screen should resume appearing in color.

 Usenet: jdevoto@apple.com  |  You may not distribute this article under a
         jdevoto@well.UUCP  |  compilation copyright without my permission.
 Disclaimer: I doubt anyone in Apple Corporate
 knows what Usenet is, let alone what I post.