[comp.sys.mac] Need to convert from Mac PageMaker to PC IWPS.

MILES@CC.USU.EDU (Miles Johnson) (06/27/89)

Subject: Need to convert from Mac PageMaker to PC IWPS.

People,

   I have a poor guy who is all bloody from banging his head against the
MAC<--->PC wall.  Joe needs to move 100+ pages from MAC PageMaker file
format to IBM PC .PCX file format (for use in IBM IWPS.)

   He can get the data from the MAC to the PC via a TOPS network, BUT
IWPS appears to follow the grand old IBM tradition of not understanding
or importing any files but it's own.

   Only his religious convictions are restraining Joe from a multitude
of unseemly acts.  Please, post or Email advice now...

Miles Johnson
Internet:    MILES@CC.USU.EDU           "Filter first for substance. Filter
Bitnet:      MILES@USU                   second for significance. These filters
Turtle Mail: Miles Johnson               protect against advertising."
             Utah State Univ. UMC 3700         -Zetetic Commentaries
             Logan, UTAH   84322          (From David's Sling by Marc Stiegler)

MILES@CC.USU.EDU (Miles Johnson) (06/29/89)

Subject: Re:  Need to convert from Mac PageMaker to PC IWPS.

mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu(Mark H. Anbinder) said:
>I don't know what an IWPS is, and you didn't elaborate.  My suggestion,
>based on zero knowledge of required final format, is that you use
>PageMaker's Export function to get the text out of your layout into a
>text file that can then be imported into whatever package you want,
>wherever you want it.  I don't think you'll have any luck converting
>entire layouts into any other format, except possible PC PageMaker.
>Then again, why don't you see if PC PageMaker will export in the PCX
>format you mentioned.

Mark,
   Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunatly, it is mostly graphics that he
wishes to utilize.  He needs an 'object' level conversion.  Something that
will know what a circle, rectangle, line, ect is.

   We thought of trying PC Pagemaker, also of routing it thru Mac PICT format.
The sticking point is we don't know of any way to get to the final .PCX
format for IWPS.  We can get the Mac Pagemaker data to a variety of formats
BUT we can't make the final conversion to IWPS.

   IWPS is a product of IBM.  It is an 'authoring' language, used to control
videodisks.  It allows you to produce videodisk presentations that combine
computer graphics, keyboard input and videodisk effects.