[comp.sys.mac] Adobe Fonts...

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/07/88)

>P.S. If anybody wants to get any of the italic, bold and italic-bold fonts,
>you can contact Adobe, or download from CompuServe (GO ADOBE). I don't think
>its legal for me to repost them or send them to people, so you're have to
>obtain them yourselves.

No, it's not legal to repost them.

If you don't want to spend the $12.50/hour to download them, they are also
available on GENie in the Letraset Roundtable. I don't believe the Letraset
folks have the .AFM files, but I could be wrong.

If you have a laserwriter or laserwriter+, you really want to get the Adobe
versions of the bitmaps. They are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the ones shipped
by Apple. And if you're using a program that reads .AFM files (Freehand and
FullWrite are two I know of, offhand) you want those, too.

It's an inexpensive way to really make your stuff (and your screen, while
you're working on it) look better. I was amazed how much difference there
was when I upgraded.

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

	Robert A. Heinlein: 1907-1988. He will never truly die as long as we
                           read his words and speak his name. Rest in Peace.

ecs165s052@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (06/09/88)

Is there any way that those of us without subscriptions to CompuServe or
GEnie can get the Adobe bitmap fonts?  I'm a registered owner of Illustrator
but don't own a LaserWriter.  :-(

-----
Greg DeMichillie      lgdemichillie@deneb.ucdavis.edu
                      ecs165s052@deneb.ucdavis.edu
                      {ucbvax, lll-crg, sdcsvax}!ucdavis!lgdemichillie
                      AppleLink:  ST0178

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (06/09/88)

In article <1106@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:

>>>P.S. If anybody wants to get any of the italic, bold and italic-bold fonts,
>>>you can contact Adobe, or download from CompuServe (GO ADOBE). I don't think
>>>its legal for me to repost them or send them to people, so you're have to
>>>obtain them yourselves.
>
>> No, it's not legal to repost them.
>
>If it is indeed not illegal to repost them, why not post them to comp.binaries
>--
>Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
>Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
>UUCP: {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter
>BITNET: Peter@Acadia  Internet: Peter%Acadia.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

Even if it were legal to post them I would never do it.  My collection of
bitmaps for the lw+ fonts plus a few others runs over a megabyte COMPRESSED.

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-9515   (school office)

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (06/10/88)

>Is there any way that those of us without subscriptions to CompuServe or
>GEnie can get the Adobe bitmap fonts?  I'm a registered owner of Illustrator
>but don't own a LaserWriter.  :-(

You can send away to Adobe (or call them on the phone) and order a 3-disk set of
the bitmap fonts.  Of course, you get to pay a price only Adobe could love: $50.
You get bitmap versions of all the "flavors" (roman, bold, italic, and bold-italic)
of standard LaserWriter Plus fonts.  In all standard sizes, and a few extra sizes in
some cases like Helvetica.

--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.

rcbaem@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Ernst Mulder) (06/29/89)

 I don't know whether this has been discussed before on this newsgroup,
but anyway I missed it. I recently loaded the Adobe fonts down from
the archives, and I have a BNDL of questions about them. I copied all the
FONTs our laserprinter has into my system, quite a lot of fonts really,
and the Adobe screenfonts look magnificently much better. But weird things
are happening. First of all, the I, B and IB fonts appear in the font
menu's. I don't think I like that. Secondly, taking for example the
Helvetica font, its FONT resources show Helvetica 7, 8, 9, etc. They
don't appear in Size menu's, because they are not referenced in Helvetica's
FOND resource.
 Then I thought I was clever and copied the Helvetica font, with the
Font/DA mover into a file, one by one, so that the FOND resource would
be OK. But after that, the horizontal spacing of the smaller fonts
was not at all what I expected it to be. Maybe someone else but Adobe
put those smaller sizes in the suitcase?
 So my questions are, have I downloaded the right fonts? What should I do
to make the B, I, IB fonts invisible? Putting a '.' in front of the
names with the Resource Editor, and then copying the fonts back into
the System didn't work. They where still visible, except for the '.'
however. Should I forget about the <10 sizes and remove them from the
suitcase? Should I use the Adobe fonts or is it recommended to use
Apple's fonts instead? Should I edit the FOND resources by hand, and
adjust the table offsets by hand too?
 Please respond to me directly. If nessesarry I will summarise. I really
prefer the Adobe bitmaps and spacing, their bitmaps are much more
ledgible, even from a greater distance from the screen.

 Regards,   Ernst.

                                  RCBAEM@HEITUE51.bitnet
                                  RCBAEM@HEITHE5.bitnet
                                  RCBAPOOH@HEITUE1.bitnet