[comp.sys.mac] II => IIx upgrade

flatmas@prism.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) (06/28/89)

This is a summary of the *ONE* reply I received regarding the cost to upgrade
from a Mac II to a Mac IIx. Thanks to Ric Anderson for the only reply I have
yet to receive! :-) Here is what he found out about a month ago:

FDHD , the newfangled floppy is ~$700.00 :-( ( you must be kidding! )
and for some more good humor brought to you from Apple "Steal 'em blind"
Computer, the logic board is ( you may laugh now...) $1600.00 !!

And the total is .... $2300.00 !! :-(
Again Apple wins the first place award for *RIDICULOUSLY* over priced computing
equipment! After hearing some rumors about upcoming machines I intend to wait
and see. $2300 bucks for about 20% more performnce is just *?!$ foolish!!:-)
Also note that you could sell a MacII motherboard and buy a Mac IIx motherboard
for a bit less than $700.00 floppy cost( Since I got mine at school is is
very cheap this way. Yes I know you are supposed to only sell it to another
"qualified" buyer... see a lawyer... Another new marketing strategy brought to
you from Apple :-) )

So it is up to you... I intended to wait out the year and see what Apple has
coming down the pipe. If it is not a *MAJOR* improvement over a MacII I fully
intend to stop all my Mac development efforts and jump ship to something else
(like a SUN :-) Hopefully Apple feels alot of pressure from SUN...). If
anybody wants a used Mac II around Christmas I may have one for sale.

SO APPLE LISTEN( for once ) TO YOUR CUSTOMERS! WE DEMAND MUCH BETTER
PERFORMANCE. LETS SEE, THAT MEANS... A GRAPHICS CO_PROCESSOR(a necessity for
32 bit quickdraw which is way *SLOW* ) ... MUCH FASTER DISK ACCESS( like DMA )
... FASTER CPU( similar to a cheap UNIX box, like Sparcintosh )... AND A
RESONABLE PRICE!

Well I've said enough, I'll climb down off my soapbox...

+====================================================================+
| Scott Flatman                                                      |
| INTERNET: flatmas@prism.cs.orst.edu                                |
| UUCP: { hplabs!hp-pcd,tektronix }!orstcs!prism.cs.orst.edu!flatmas |
+====================================================================+
|		   * FREE THE U.S. CONSTITUTION *                    |
+====================================================================+

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (06/28/89)

In article <11406@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, flatmas@prism.cs.orst.edu (Scott Timothy Flatman) writes:
> This is a summary of the *ONE* reply I received regarding the cost to upgrade
> from a Mac II to a Mac IIx. Thanks to Ric Anderson for the only reply I have
> yet to receive! :-) Here is what he found out about a month ago:
>
> FDHD , the newfangled floppy is ~$700.00 :-( ( you must be kidding! )
> and for some more good humor brought to you from Apple "Steal 'em blind"
> Computer, the logic board is ( you may laugh now...) $1600.00 !!
>
> And the total is .... $2300.00 !! :-(
> Again Apple wins the first place award for *RIDICULOUSLY* over priced computing
> equipment! After hearing some rumors about upcoming machines I intend to wait
> and see. $2300 bucks for about 20% more performnce is just *?!$ foolish!!:-)

If you are at a univeristy, your prices will be something like this (I don't
deal in retail, so this is all I have):

Macintosh IIx logic board upgrade                    $ 3,039.30
Return of old Mac II logic board                       1,500.00
                                                     ----------
   Net cost of motherboard upgrade                   $ 1,539.30

Macintosh II FDHD upgrade kit (includes FDHD
  drive and ROM/SWIM upgrade)                        $   569.00
Return of old ROM/SWIM chips                             150.00
                                                     ----------
   Net cost of drive upgrade                         $   419.00

   Grand total for upgrade                           $ 1,958.00
                                                     ==========

I'm sure that this would translate into $2300 retail without any problems.
Now here is one thing that I don't understand:  Why do you need to upgrade
the ROM/SWIM chips?  Wouldn't it be much easier to include those on the
logic board upgrade?  Then you would just need to buy a FDHD drive, which only
runs about $349 (university price for internal FDHD drive).  I think that
this would make much more sense, but then again, what do I know...

-Michael

p.s.  I don't have enough money for a Mac II, so I will never have to worry
      about the upgrade to a IIx...

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (06/30/89)

Scott Timothy Flatman <flatmas@prism.CS.ORST.EDU> writes:

	FDHD, the newfangled floppy is ~$700.00

I got a quotation here in New York City (from ComputerLand, no less)
for the whole thing (hardware, new ROMS, instalation, etc.) for $475.
I'm gonna get one, since I can't get a Mac-able floppy for my laptop PC
no matter *how* much I pay :-)

/jordan