[comp.sys.mac] Wordfinder and hierDA

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (06/29/89)

I like the WordFinder(v2.0) DA and the hierDA (v.9967) INIT.

Unfortunately, they don't like each other...hierDA makes WordFinder
crash. System error...ID=02.  Running System 6.0.3 and Finder 6.1.
Finder or Multifinder...no difference.

Microlytics says they know about this...essentially they said "Just
don't run hierDA."

I want 'em both!  Anybody got any ideas?

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (06/29/89)

In article <25305@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> prince@CS.UCLA.EDU (Larry Prince) writes:
>I like the WordFinder(v2.0) DA and the hierDA (v.9967) INIT.
>
>Unfortunately, they don't like each other...hierDA makes WordFinder
>crash. System error...ID=02.  Running System 6.0.3 and Finder 6.1.
>Finder or Multifinder...no difference.

	The author of hierDA (who's sitting next to me chewing on a Bacon
Double Delux, no cheese) says that if you use the newer version 0.9983 of
hierDA, your problems should be solved.

	This release can be found on CompuServe, in the MacPro forum, DL5.

		--Rich

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

 I classify myself as a real developer because my desk is hip-deep in
 assembly-language listings and I spend more than 50% of my time in TMON.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (06/29/89)

In article <2133@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:

>[author] says that if you use the newer version 0.9983 of
>hierDA, your problems should be solved.
>
>	This release can be found on CompuServe, in the MacPro forum, DL5.

Thanks...unfortunately, I'm not subscribed to Compuserve...can some kind
sort e-mail it to me?

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:     {uunet,rutgers,ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!prince
		    Internet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (07/01/89)

>The author of hierDA (who's sitting next to me chewing on a Bacon
>Double Delux, no cheese) says that if you use the newer version 0.9983 of
>hierDA, your problems should be solved.
>
>This release can be found on CompuServe, in the MacPro forum, DL5.
.
So what does he say about the *dire* warning contained within 0.9983, that
says
don't use it, it could be dangerous?  I went back to 0.9979 because of
that.

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (07/03/89)

In article <25305@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> prince@CS.UCLA.EDU (Larry Prince) writes:
>I like the WordFinder(v2.0) DA and the hierDA (v.9967) INIT.
>
>Unfortunately, they don't like each other...hierDA makes WordFinder
>crash. System error...ID=02.  Running System 6.0.3 and Finder 6.1.
>Finder or Multifinder...no difference.
>
>Microlytics says they know about this...essentially they said "Just
>don't run hierDA."

The copy I got with Microsoft Word 4.0 works fine with hierDA.  Just
make sure you have the most recent version, .9983.

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (07/03/89)

In article <14173@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:

>The copy I got with Microsoft Word 4.0 works fine with hierDA.  Just
>make sure you have the most recent version, .9983.

Yes, but just try running the version you got with MSWord while you're
in MacWrite II...it tells you to go buy the Commercial Version!
It DOES run from the finder, but I need it to run without ANY constraints.)

An interesting side note, though...the "About Wordfinder..." box for
the MSWord version gives the version # as 2.4.4 -- curious that Microlytics
didn't tell me anything about any updates to commercial 2.0 -- maybe they've
been spending all their time writing application-dependent versions for the
big companies?  Sigh...I'll call them again after the holiday.

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:     {uunet,rutgers,ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!prince
		    Internet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (07/03/89)

In article <14173@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:

>make sure you have the most recent version [of hierDA], .9983.

Well, like I said, if someone would be so kind as to send it to me ... ;->
BUT, there *was* a recent warning posted that .9983 is dangerous and
shouldn't be run...can anyone (the author, maybe?) elaborate on that?