[comp.sys.mac] email for Macintosh

felleman@cg-atla.UUCP (John Felleman) (06/23/89)

I am looking for information about email for the Mac.  We have an environment
which mixes Sun's, a VAX, and Macintosh's.  The Unix stuff is all enet'ed
together, the Macs are mostly Appletalk'ed using Phonenet.  Some Mac's have
serial connections to the VAX as well, and at least one has ethertalk,
along with TOPS, which sort allows it to talk to a Sun.

I am looking for an email system (commercial or PD) that will allow
everyone to send mail everywhere, painlessly and quickly, of course.
The two that I have seen references to are Microsoft Mail and
CE Software's Quickmail.  Any information on these or other packages would
be appreciated.

Standard deal: reply by email, will post...

Thanks,

--
John Felleman  (508)-658-5600 X7034
AGFA Compugraphic	    ...!{ima,ulowell,ism780c}!cg-atla!felleman

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (06/23/89)

Run, do not walk, and get Quickmail from CE sofware.  This is probably the most
flexible package to date, is very fast, handles large groups over multiple
servers with ease, and due to its open architecture, can be modified to
handle Compuserve, MCI Mail, Genie, and a variety of other sources.  In
addition, Star*Nine, the A/UX enhancement people have introduced a Quickmail
called mail*link SMTP which allows any Macintosh uses TCP/IP and SMTP protocols
to send mail directly to Unix machines, vaxen, or anything else that suppors
SMTP.  Localtalk machines will need a Kinetics fastpath or cayman gatorbox
or some equivelent IP/DDP router.

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta
  REWING@APPLE.COM

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Philip Wong) (06/24/89)

But will this solve the problem with addresses bouncing.  I know how to use
the mail system, but the addresses never get to where I want them to go.
Does this prog. somehow find out a valid path so I will get no more bounces?

robin@csun.edu (Robin Goldstone ) (06/27/89)

In article <32626@apple.Apple.COM> rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) writes:
>Run, do not walk, and get Quickmail from CE sofware.  This is probably the most
>flexible package to date, is very fast, handles large groups over multiple
>servers with ease, and due to its open architecture, can be modified to
>handle Compuserve, MCI Mail, Genie, and a variety of other sources.  In
>addition, Star*Nine, the A/UX enhancement people have introduced a Quickmail
>called mail*link SMTP which allows any Macintosh uses TCP/IP and SMTP protocols
>to send mail directly to Unix machines, vaxen, or anything else that suppors
>SMTP.  Localtalk machines will need a Kinetics fastpath or cayman gatorbox
>or some equivelent IP/DDP router.
>
>--Rick Ewing
>  Apple Atlanta
>  REWING@APPLE.COM

I have done some testing of Quickmail and found it to be much slower
than Microsoft Mail in terms of communication with the mail server.
For example, system startup takes nnearly 30 seconds
longer than normal while QuickMail queries the server
Quickmail has some nice features such as conferencing,
but I found the product to be anything but 'quick'.
StarNine has announced support for microsoft mail
and tops mail in the near future.  I will hold out
until then since our users are committed to
ms mail.

Robin Goldstone,  CSU, Chico (guest on csun)
robin@csuchico.edu

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (06/28/89)

>Run, do not walk, and get Quickmail from CE sofware. This is probably the most
>flexible package to date, is very fast, handles large groups over multiple
>servers with ease, and due to its open architecture, can be modified to
>handle Compuserve, MCI Mail, Genie, and a variety of other sources.

> I have done some testing of Quickmail and found it to be much slower
> than Microsoft Mail in terms of communication with the mail server.

We have a PC Novell network, a Mac/MacJANET network, a Sun mainframe as well
as a Cyber (CDC) mainframe. None of the products available will integrate
these diverse platforms. Quickmail and MS-Mail can be used to make PCs and
Macs talk to each other, but only if the PCs have Appletalk cards. Only
our server has an Appletalk card. I doubt we will ever find a mail program
that will do what we want...

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

wvanbeek@tippy.uucp (07/04/89)

We are just in the completion stages of our MAC E-Mail product,
commonly, at least in house referred to as MICROMAIL.  The product
also runs on PC's and most BSD oriented UNIX boxes.  My folks tell me
that the port to other devices should be fairly simple.  The PC version
is out and appearto be rock solid.  MicroMail supports binary file
transfer as an enclosure to a mail message.  This is not a common
highlight of the other products you have mentioned.

If you would like further info, please feel free to contact me.

...bill van beek    tippy!wvanbeek@newton.physics.purdue.edu
                    wvanbeek@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu
                    Krannert School of Management, Purdue University
                    (317) 494-4526