[comp.sys.mac] color printers

trajmar@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (07/07/89)

In article <372@ai.cs.utexas.edu> you write:
>In article <2347@pembina.UUCP> simon@alberta.UUCP (Simon Tortike) writes:
>>We are considering buying an HP PaintJet colour printer to use with
>>our colour Mac II, but are unable locally to find out any information on
>>whether it will work with Illustrator '88 documents---i.e., can we
>>print colour graphics created with this program?  ......
>
>We also need a color laser printer.  In fact, we prefer to buy one
>which can directly make color transparencies.
>Is HP PaintJet compatible with Mac(especially IIcx)?
>Can HP PaintJet color printer print on transparent papers?
>Is there any other color laser printers for Mac which can directly
>print on transparent papers?
>Thank you for any comments on this matter.
>
>1      Jungyun Seo         UUCP:  uunet!cs.utexas.edu!seo                     1
>1      (512) 471-9573      ARPA:  seo@cs.utexas.edu                           1

The QMS Colorscript (I think that's the name) was the first color
Postscript laser printer available. I have some print samples and I
think they look nice. I believe the new LaserWriter drivers are
meant to make printing to this and other color printers possible
without any special drivers. Since it is a Postscript printer it
should not have a problem with Illustrator documents (I don't know
for sure). The price is commensurate with the fact that it is color
and Postscript. It is thermal transfer and so I believe it can make
transparencies. You can probably get info by calling 800 info
(ie 1 800 555 1212) and asking for QMS. They also advertise in
Macworld once in a while.

Disclaimer: I am a recent QMS stockholder. I like their new products.

Peter Trajmar
(trajmar@cs.ucla.edu)

sdh@wind.bellcore.com (Stephen D Hawley) (07/07/89)

In article <25481@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> trajmar@CS.UCLA.EDU (Peter Trajmar) writes:

>In article <372@ai.cs.utexas.edu> you write:
> Since it is a Postscript printer it
>should not have a problem with Illustrator documents (I don't know
>for sure). The price is commensurate with the fact that it is color
>and Postscript. It is thermal transfer and so I believe it can make
>transparencies. You can probably get info by calling 800 info
>(ie 1 800 555 1212) and asking for QMS. They also advertise in
>Macworld once in a while.

We have one of these here at work.  It does work just hunky-dorey peachy-keen
with the Mac and Adobe Illustrator.

It does transparencies pretty well.  Since it is four pass (cyan, magenta,
yellow and black) it is prone to non-linearities in the print so the layers
do not line up perfectly.  It also only has a SMALL limited number of pages
per ribbon set (less than 200 pages), and contary to what QMS says, it prints
best on expensive special paper.

Quality isn't too bad.

Steve Hawley
sdh@flash.bellcore.com