[comp.sys.mac] Additional OzTeX archive

cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) (07/07/89)

OzTeX is also available for anonymous FTP on handies.ucar.edu, address
128.117.64.4.  The directory 'pub/Mac/OzTeX' contains both the binary
StuffIt files (subdirectory 'binary') and the split .hqx files in the
other directories.
--
Craig Ruff      	NCAR			cruff@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1211  	P.O. Box 3000

werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) (07/07/89)

In article <3627@ncar.ucar.edu>, cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) writes:
> OzTeX is also available for anonymous FTP on handies.ucar.edu...

	last night, I copied the binaries to SIMTEL20 also,
	so as soon as the files are moved to the public areas
	there, you'll have a choice between TANK, NCAR, RASCAL, SIMTEL20

	given that the binary files are ~500k each and that there are 10
	of those, I'd recommend that you test the transfer speed at which
	you can retrieve files from these sites (by retrieving a small
	file) and then go for the one which is fastest (for you).

	I'd also like to encourage folks to make files available to your
	local user community and/or the net at large to help reduce the
	overall load on the volunteer archive sites (you know how it
	goes:  if someone with clout gets upset, there go the FTPable
	archive sites .... :-)

	maybe the folks at SUMEX could retrieve a copy and add to the
	pool of available sites?!  it's really a shame when connections
	time out after 450k of a 500k file are already transfered.
	if that happens, get the 64k fragmented and hexed pieces from
	either NCAR or TANK, please...

--
--------------------------> please send REPLIES to <------------------------
INTERNET:    uhrig@mcc.com     (if unavailable: werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu)

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (07/07/89)

In article <2587@molokai.sw.mcc.com> werner@molokai.sw.mcc.com (Werner Uhrig) writes (among other things):
>In article <3627@ncar.ucar.edu>, cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) writes:
>> OzTeX is also available for anonymous FTP on handies.ucar.edu...
>
>	I'd also like to encourage folks to make files available to your
>	local user community and/or the net at large to help reduce the
>	overall load on the volunteer archive sites (you know how it
>	goes:  if someone with clout gets upset, there go the FTPable
>	archive sites .... :-)

For people who don't want to DL and process the equivalent of *nine*
800k floppies, BMUG will make the finished work available in some
way, shape, or form (definitely on the PD-ROM 1.2, due out this Fall,
and maybe on a floppy set for a cheap price if there's enough interest).
If people are interested in the floppy set, send email to
steve.costa@bmug.fidonet.org, or leave a message for him at (415) 549-2684
saying "I want OzTeX on floppy" so that it gets into the disk duping
loop.  Sorry to say we don't yet have FDHD duping facilities available,
but that may also be an option someday soon.  We have the master disks
as I write this, by the way...

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |